Choice of hospital and pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Oldfield

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,
I recently moved and need to sign up with a local hospital to continue access to a pump. The two nearest to me are Exeter and Torbay. Does anyone have any recommendations about which one I should be going for? In addition, my current Medtronic 640G has reached end of life so I'll be needing a new one. Any information on what pumps the two hospitals offer?

Note that I'm not sure whether I'll actually be given a choice on either question. I've got an appointment booked for 6th March with GP where we'll be discussing it but would be good to have some info in advance.

Can’t help with those options.
I know when I moved from Warrington to Tameside my care quality improved massively, instantly so it makes a huge difference sometimes.
You should be able to ask for a certain pump (again it all depends) the team at Tameside had a few options they currently used and although the Onnipod was new for them they had a few patients on it already. Still the whole DSN sat in on our tutorial when we had it with Omnipod, so they were still learning.

Good luck

I found a few more insulin pump and T1 education courses on the Torbay website - though that may just be the quality of the website rather than the total of the services offered!

Hi all,
I recently moved and need to sign up with a local hospital to continue access to a pump. The two nearest to me are Exeter and Torbay. Does anyone have any recommendations about which one I should be going for? In addition, my current Medtronic 640G has reached end of life so I'll be needing a new one. Any information on what pumps the two hospitals offer?

Note that I'm not sure whether I'll actually be given a choice on either question. I've got an appointment booked for 6th March with GP where we'll be discussing it but would be good to have some info in advance.
They def do Medtronic and Tslim there's a couple of others they do as well.
Exeter has a very good reputation, well worth looking on their website.
Give the nurses a ring at Exeter https://royaldevon.nhs.uk/services/diabetes-and-endocrinology/eastern-services/

Last edited:
Thanks. Think it's a good suggestion to give them a call and will do that next week.
As I understand it all Devon and Cornwall hospitals have joined forces in offering the same pumps. The diabetes team at Exeter are 1st class though.

Exeter is where they do a lot of ground breaking research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back