Choice before diabetics: Painful insulin or costly but less-effective drugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Doctors and patients alike slam the Centre's ban on pioglitazone.

Wadala resident Asha Pillai, 60, has been on anti-diabetic drug pioglitazone for four years. When she read media reports that the drug was banned, she booked an appointment with her doctor. "I have been on 7.5 milligrams of pioglitazone daily and it has controlled my sugar levels ," said Pillai. "My doctor Dr Vijay Panikar said my last dose will be good enough for two weeks. After a month, my sugar levels will shoot up. He will put me on another drug."

Her doctor said the new combination may not be as effective as pioglitazone. Pillai will then have to switch to insulin, administered through a daily injection.

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/mumbai/...less-effective-drugs/articleshow/20902611.cms

'Painful'??? Where do they get that from? Never been my experience :confused:

Perhaps they mean painful in respect of the comparative costs? (Although I doubt it!)

Pillai and Raiyaper are two among 30 lakh Indians who now have to decide between the painful insulin shot and costly-yet-less-effective drugs
Nope def the injection. Perhaps they just think it's painful and don't realise how small the needle is.
Mind you many people out there don't even have the basics of even a fridge to keep their insulin.

It is rumoured that persons from that sub-continent have a very low pain threshold.

I say rumoured; I heard it from a number of HCPs at a certain hospital and it arose from the amount of fuss those persons usually made in comparison to other ethnic groups, at the slightest discomfort !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back