• Please Remember: Members are only permitted to share their own experiences. Members are not qualified to give medical advice. Additionally, everyone manages their health differently. Please be respectful of other people's opinions about their own diabetes management.

chocolate

Steff

Little Miss Chatterbox
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
HI,

jus A quick question, is cooking chocolate ok to eat i here the dark type is ok, ?

thanks

(type 2)

HI,

jus A quick question, is cooking chocolate ok to eat i here the dark type is ok, ?

thanks

(type 2)

Since it is an ingredient, I'd say yes. Just treat it as normal choclate I think. If it were on or in cakes and cookies you'd still have to take it into account with regards carbs.

Dark/plain chocolate is generally said to be better if you like bitter cholcate. Again take the carbs into account if you are carb counting. As long as you are sensible, most things are OK as part of a balanced diet, and I'd go crazyif I couldn't have choclate some times

HI,

thanks

(type 2)
Dear steff09,

As Caroline says, you need to keep a eye on the carb content. I have found some by Lindt that is 99% cocoa solids - so I only need a small amount to satisfy my craving. If you don't like dark chocolate Thorntons do a Diabetic range which is low in sugar - it uses polyols as a sweetener so again don't eat too much or you will become best friends with your loo!

Regards Dodger

:)@friends with loo, cheers for that i know the lindt choc you mean , i will try get some later , like you said caroline if i coul'ndt have some choccie as a treat i think id go just as mad lol

cheers guys

Cooking chocolate is OK to eat, but it usually has a higher fat content, to ensure easy melting. So, I prefer to eat normal chocolate. Generally, the higher the cocoa content, the lower the fat and sugar content - and as the taste is more intense, you may (only may!) feel the need to eat less.

Dark choc apparently better but...

anything is OK in moderation in my book! Across the board - must admit cooking chocolate wouldn't be my first port of call!

i tend to go for what ever chocolate i like but just have it in moderation. it is a good test of will power (but not as much of a test as the crisp test!!!) lol i love white chocolate but cant stand dark chocolate at all (must come from the ration packs i had to endure in the army lol).

anything is OK in moderation in my book! Across the board - must admit cooking chocolate wouldn't be my first port of call!

When I was a child I used to raid the cupboard for it if there was no real stuff around. I even tried the dog chocolates once!:eek:

hahaha my older brother and sister used to feed me the dog biscuits and tell me they were normal ones just miss shaped lol

cat crunchies and dog chocolate

We tasted out cat's dry food to discover why she left the dark brown ones, but ate the green and reddy brown ones - and now agree with her that they don't taste as nice as the others!

One serious point is that normal human chocolate is poisonous to dogs, so they must not be given any and keep it out of reach of dogs

Last edited:
it is bad to give human chocolate to any animal. i have a hampster and a dog and they both have their own treats. dog loves to try and nick the kids crisp off them, but even i dont get a look in with them so he is bang out of luck!!!

:)@friends with loo, cheers for that i know the lindt choc you mean , i will try get some later , like you said caroline if i coul'ndt have some choccie as a treat i think id go just as mad lol

cheers guys

love my chocolate. have to say had to throw the lindt stuff away, yuk:eek:, that was a first. Try to stick to dark, the best ive found for low carbs and good taste is green and black, 85% cocoa....lovely, in fact just had my 5g worth, 8 small squares hmmm::p

ty tracey i guess i will have basket full to try lol

i have heard that is good mind you

cheers

Back