Chocolate milk

Status
Not open for further replies.

bexstar001

Relationship to Diabetes
Other Type
Hi
My brother is due to arrive in the UK in jan and he’s looking for some high protein low carb chocolate milk that is fresh to use for treatment if needed. Can anyone recommend a good one for type 1 diabetes? And where I can buy it from? Thanks.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Hope your brother enjoys his visit to the UK. If you can give us an idea of what he wants the chocolate milk as treatment for, we might manage to make suggestions? I am guessing it is not hypo treatment since you specifically mention high protein and low carb.

Hi @bexstar001 Is the chocolate milk for your nephew? If it’s as a hypo treatment, it needs to have carbs. Can you explain a little more?

@bexstar001 - I have deleted your thread on the "foods" board to make sure all the replies you get will be in the same place. Can't help with chocolate milk, not my sort of thing!

Hi @bexstar001 Is the chocolate milk for your nephew? If it’s as a hypo treatment, it needs to have carbs. Can you explain a little more?
Hi yes it is for my nephew. I think my brother said it was for treatment of a hypo. He buys something where he lives that’s high protein and low carb choc milk so my nephew will drink it. I’m looking for an equivalent here in the uk.

Hi yes it is for my nephew. I think my brother said it was for treatment of a hypo. He buys something where he lives that’s high protein and low carb choc milk so my nephew will drink it. I’m looking for an equivalent here in the uk.

That’s a little confusing @bexstar001 !

Hypos need fast acting carbohydrates to treat them - so something like glucose tablets, lucozade, or jelly babies. But importantly not something with fat in (like chocolate) because the fat slows down the absorption of the carbohydrates.

Generally the advice in the UK is to take 15g of fast-acting carbohyates (glucose), and to recheck in 15 minutes.

I wonder if the low carb high protein milk is for a follow-up of something slower acting after the initial glucose has raised your nephew‘s levels?

I believe that lucozade can’t be used for hypo’s anymore as it no longer has enough sugar. I’m sure that this info came from St John Ambulance. Of course, it may just be their recommendation and to stick to Glucogel or jelly babies

High protein low carb sounds like something for him to drink normally when he isn’t having a hypo, so that it won’t affect his blood sugar too much if he doesn’t like drinking water. Best to check exactly what it’s needed for, or if you can find out what your brother normally buys maybe we can suggest an equivalent.

I believe that Lucozade can’t be used for hypo’s any more as it no longer has enough sugar.
Not ideal as it now has half the sugar of regular Coke. Just means you'd have to consume a full size can or most of a 380ml bottle instead of a small 150ml can of Coke.

Ok, well I’d double-check exactly what he wants and for when. You could even ask him for a carb value of the one he normally buys. Hypos need fast-acting carbs in a ‘small package’, ie concentrated - so not low carb. Hypo treatments would be Dextro or Lift glucose ‘tablets’ or Jelly Babies.

If the chocolate milk is just for a follow-up or a drink, then that would be different, but even then I’m not sure why it has to be low carb. There are some (expensive) low carb high protein chocolate milks but I wouldn’t be giving them to a young child really. I’d give normal cows milk or plant-based milk as appropriate and flavour it myself with cocoa or hot choc powder (add a small amount of hot water to the powder, stir well, then top up with fresh milk, stirring as you add the milk).

I believe that lucozade can’t be used for hypo’s anymore as it no longer has enough sugar. I’m sure that this info came from St John Ambulance. Of course, it may just be their recommendation and to stick to Glucogel or jelly babies

Yes they have made it much, much weaker now. and you have to be careful about the type, because are weaker still! The basic ones are about half strength

The last I got (orange) had approx 8-9g of carbs per 100ml, so you now need about half - threequarters of a 380ml bottle.🙄

But yes, glucotabs are probably more reliable these days

I loved the old ("full fat") orange Lucozade to treat any lows - because you just didn't need to drink loads of it to do the trick. Chatting with an over 80 yo friend a few weeks ago and she was saying her husband (several years older than her) had now stopped drinking anything alcoholic at night so instead of his usual pint of bitter now usually has a bottle of J2O poured into a pint glass, made up to the pint level with water. Good God, I replied, here's me - and I just couldn't drink a pint of anything, ever! - and she agreed that she couldn't either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back