Chocoholic reverses type 2 diabetes

mikeyB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hmmm...I just wonder whether that weight will stay off, it quite often doesn't after a month or more on meal replacements.Let's hope his chocolate and cake addiction has been cured.

That said, I wish him all the best and say well done.

Renee McBride

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
Hmmm...I just wonder whether that weight will stay off, it quite often doesn't after a month or more on meal replacements.Let's hope his chocolate and cake addiction has been cured.

That said, I wish him all the best and say well done.
He is my husband and his weight seems stable at 12 Stone 7 pounds, goes up and down a couple of pounds. I doubt if his sugar addiction will change, its always there in the background, however Bruce's choice is to minimise his risks for cancer, heart disease and stroke and so with the weight loss and a complete change of eating once he completed the 1:1 Diet we are managing his blood glucose and weight by eating low carb, high fat and good proteins. He has now been medication free for 8 months with stable bloods. Everyday is a challenge for him as he been overweight for 60 years before using this diet. It's so good to see you wish him well. Renee

Anitram

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
The remarkable thing about this story is that Bruce achieved remission after 23 years as Type 2 when we are told that the chances of remission are better the closer you are to diagnosis. Nothing new in the weight loss strategy as this always takes centre stage whenever you read about remission (shedding 15kgs is often cited as the requirement), or in the LCHF diet regime that many of us already adopt, but taking everything into account it's a truly astonishing outcome. All I can say is well done.

Martin

Renee McBride

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
Well done Martin you've nailed it and yes, it's uncommon for a type 2 to reverse after two decades but as Bruce says, "if an old codger like me can so can others" Renee

Anitram

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Well done Martin you've nailed it and yes, it's uncommon for a type 2 to reverse after two decades but as Bruce says, "if an old codger like me can so can others" Renee
Bruce and I are the same age, similar height and 29.6 was also my BMI at the beginning, so lots of similarities. But old codgers?

Martin

Renee McBride

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
His words to a news reporter not mine!! It's all about perspective eh? LOL. I am defo 65 years young and my mum is 90 years young. Hopefully with reversal Bruce will get to 90 years young too.