CHO Counting

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubymurry

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi!

I have been a diabetic for a very long time, however, of late I seem to be having a little trouble calculating the carbohydrate content of meals. I have an insulin pump, and I want to be able to find easy ways to work the CHO values quickly and easily. Years ago my diet consisted of easy to calculate meals and snacks, i.e. Cereals, Bread, Potatoes, Meat, Chicken, and Fish, oh, and of course veggies. Bread, potatoes, veg, easy peasy. However now, other things have been added, namely, rice, noodles, pasta, with sauces, etc which I am finding more difficult. Calculating how long different rices take to get into your system, i.e. basmati, also other foods. I think that now we are more aware about different foods and how they might affect glucose levels. Can anyone recommend ways and means to work out quickly and accurately the CHO food value, time it usually takes to get into your system, etc. Perhaps there is a good book out there? Your help would be very much appreciated.

Hi!

Can anyone recommend ways and means to work out quickly and accurately the CHO food value, time it usually takes to get into your system, etc. Perhaps there is a good book out there? Your help would be very much appreciated.

There is, as you say, such a variety of even rice that I can't find a quick guide.
My biggest prob is the release rate. Much seems to relate to other foods taken at the same time and your general activity.
I join with you in appealing for a quick
guide

Hiya, the rice problem is easy to fix (sort of) 😉
The carb values are on the back of the pkt. But with a pump to fix the problems with the highs and lows from eating it use a combination bolus.
I do a 30/70 split ove 1 1/2 hr. But please note I use bovine insulin so you might find it better to do the combination over 2 hours. Experiment and see what happens. Also try different splits to find what suits you.
People do the same with piza.
Theres a lovely little book that comes in the collins gem series worth a look too as that has 100's of carb values in it.
Nutri scales are fab too as you just put the food you want on the scales and then press in the code for that product it then tells you the carb value for what on your plate.
Hope that helps.

Nothing's straightforward with diabetes, is it? 🙂 When I learnt carb counting it all sounded very simple - x carbs=x units of insulin. But it depends what you eat with what, when you eat it, how hot it is, your previous/subsequent activity levels, previous/subsequent alcohol intake etc.!

Something worth investigating is Glycaemic Load. This is basically the GI principle, but a practical approach, taking into consideration food combinations and portion size as well as the glycaemic index of foods. Using this approach along with regular testing helps you find your personal reaction to foods, and I've found that, once you get a 'feel' for it, you don't have to be too exacting with the carb counting. There are many books about it - take a look on amazon or your local library.

Good luck!🙂

Thank you all so much for your inputs, re cho calculations. When I first became diabetic, forty years ago, food did seem easier to calculate. Of course, it really was not any different to present day carb counting. Basic meals are just the same, but the difference is that the knowledge that we now have regarding food values, is more comprehensive. Of course this is how it should be, for it means that we are able to obtain a good control re our diabetes. I am on a insulin pump now, and I think it is fantastic, and I would not like to go back to injecting four times a day. This is why I want to gauge everything I eat very carefully, so that my HBA1c, stays at around 6. The reason my Consultant requested the PCT that I had a pump, was because of the many bad hypos that were happening to me, sometimes on a daily basis. However, my control now is much better, thank goodness, but I still have hypos, not so often, but some maybe sometimes because of my inaccurate carb counting. I do envy the people who have got it right, and perhaps if I take on board all your advice, it will all work out. I am not slap dash, but sometimes I find the balance between insulin and food a little puzzling, especially when I have exactly the same food perhaps on two different days, have the same amount of exercise, same insulin dose, but have very different BG readings! Sorry to keep typing, but I feel that maybe you'll understand a little of what I am trying to do. I am not a stupid person, but sometimes I am disappointed with myself because I don't seem to be getting the right results, and feel a little down. However, with the pump, I'm sure I'll get there in the end!!!!? Thank you all again, everything was very helpful.

Thank you all so much for your inputs, re cho calculations. When I first became diabetic, forty years ago, food did seem easier to calculate. Of course, it really was not any different to present day carb counting. Basic meals are just the same, but the difference is that the knowledge that we now have regarding food values, is more comprehensive. Of course this is how it should be, for it means that we are able to obtain a good control re our diabetes. I am on a insulin pump now, and I think it is fantastic, and I would not like to go back to injecting four times a day. This is why I want to gauge everything I eat very carefully, so that my HBA1c, stays at around 6. The reason my Consultant requested the PCT that I had a pump, was because of the many bad hypos that were happening to me, sometimes on a daily basis. However, my control now is much better, thank goodness, but I still have hypos, not so often, but some maybe sometimes because of my inaccurate carb counting. I do envy the people who have got it right, and perhaps if I take on board all your advice, it will all work out. I am not slap dash, but sometimes I find the balance between insulin and food a little puzzling, especially when I have exactly the same food perhaps on two different days, have the same amount of exercise, same insulin dose, but have very different BG readings! Sorry to keep typing, but I feel that maybe you'll understand a little of what I am trying to do. I am not a stupid person, but sometimes I am disappointed with myself because I don't seem to be getting the right results, and feel a little down. However, with the pump, I'm sure I'll get there in the end!!!!? Thank you all again, everything was very helpful.

Hi Ruby, I pump too so know exactly where you are coming from.
Yes very frustraiting re same food exercise ect. I just put it down to the fact we are human and not machines.
Once you have it sussed another spanner gets thrown in the works 🙄
It is just a case of constant blood sugar checks with the option of correcting when needed.
I found, as have many others that basal will change every so often. Also your carb ratio will change.

Best wishes
Sue

Once you have it sussed another spanner gets thrown in the works 🙄
basal will change every so often. Also your carb ratio will change.

This I find most frustrating. that things don't just stay the same, once I got it figured out then that would be it. 🙄

I weigh out things like pasta and rice so that i know how much I've got. Not the bets at guestimating theses foods.

I have had the experience of basal rates changing, they just never keep stable for too lond. What is the best thing re working out carb ratio when needed, and what results trigger you to change them? I know it probably is a very easy thing to spot, but since being on the pump, 19 months now, I had never thought about the carb ratio! When I was first put on the pump, everything was worked out by my animas diabetic pump nurse, who was really great. This was not explained how it was worked out at that time. Initially as you know, its a little bit hit and miss. However, It settled down for a short time, I had pneumonia, and again things, changed. Temp basal rates of +100%. Steroids, again a dramatic increase. This happened a few times since I have had the pump. I must say that the control was so much better using the insulin pump, and again I thanked my lucky stars that I had a pump. My pump nurse left, so I more or less manage all the calculations re insulin with the help of my pump. I know how to use the technology to do basic calculations, but I am embarrassed to admit that I never even thought about carb ratio. I obviously need a little more education re this issue. Thank you for mentioning this, I've got a bit more to take on board, but I'll get there with the help of this message board (the advice has been really good), and other ways, i.e. reading up more on certain issues, and also speak more often to my diabetic team!!

I have had the experience of basal rates changing, they just never keep stable for too lond. What is the best thing re working out carb ratio when needed, and what results trigger you to change them? I know it probably is a very easy thing to spot, but since being on the pump, 19 months now, I had never thought about the carb ratio! When I was first put on the pump, everything was worked out by my animas diabetic pump nurse, who was really great. This was not explained how it was worked out at that time. Initially as you know, its a little bit hit and miss. However, It settled down for a short time, I had pneumonia, and again things, changed. Temp basal rates of +100%. Steroids, again a dramatic increase. This happened a few times since I have had the pump. I must say that the control was so much better using the insulin pump, and again I thanked my lucky stars that I had a pump. My pump nurse left, so I more or less manage all the calculations re insulin with the help of my pump. I know how to use the technology to do basic calculations, but I am embarrassed to admit that I never even thought about carb ratio. I obviously need a little more education re this issue. Thank you for mentioning this, I've got a bit more to take on board, but I'll get there with the help of this message board (the advice has been really good), and other ways, i.e. reading up more on certain issues, and also speak more often to my diabetic team!!

Hiya,
I changed my cho ratio after having highs at the 2 and 3 hr mark after meals.
This was after doing basal testing and finding them fine.
I have 3 different cho values depending on the time of day.
Have you got the book pumping insulin by John Walsh?
If not well worth buying it is known as the pumpers bible.
When I have some unexplained results I always delve into the book and then think why didn't I think of that :D
I'm very lucky as can just ring Advanced Therapeutics (Cozmo) and get an instant answer if I run into problems. My GP is ace too. I have no DSN or consultant so tend to use the net and those 2 stars if I need help. Which I'm glad to say hasn't been to often so far 🙄

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back