Chiropodists & Podiatrists

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyndasw

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Couple of questions:
What is the difference between the two? :confused:
Does anyone know how much they are if you go private?
I have been told that my feet will only ever be checked by the nurse as there is no funding for Podiatrists :( not really happy with that option

Podiatrists are simply the new name for Chiropodists. Podiatrists deal with only feet, whereas chiropodists deal with feet and hands.

Here's a good page that explains everything:

http://www.podiatrypages.co.uk/faq.htm

Unless you have a particular problem with your feet, a properly trained nurse should be able to test for sensitivity and pulses, and for any possible damage. Privately, I would expect that you should expect to pay around ?35 a session.

Last edited:
I go to the chiropodist every so often and it costs me ?30 a visit.

I go to the chiropodist every so often and it costs me ?30 a visit.

Hi cazscot that is about the price I was expecting - sounds silly I know but what do they actually do? nails, hard skin etc ?
Think I might get the feet checked before my holiday..🙄

I go twice a year to my local chiropodist and it's just gone up from ?20 to ?22 per visit. They check for problems, also do the diabetic check (pulse, sensitivity, splitting anywhere, atheletes foot infection) and then file down any hard skin and moisturise, remove any "seed" corns (baby ones which may grow) and remove hard skin off the ball of the foot (a particular problem of mine since I have worn high heels for so many years and I find it puts the pressure on the ball of my feet so I get a kind of pad there) and, of course, cut my nails properly.

My diabetic nurse checks my feet every year and, at my six monthly in-between visit to her, she asks if I have any problems with my feet and checks them if I say yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back