Chinese takeaway

Big Pete

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
What to have from the Chinese?
Played safe last time and got special foo yung but hadn't got my accu chek tester then so not sure of increase, went today and tried beef with green pepper and blackbean sauce with portion of beansprouts instead of rice, did a test before and one couple of hours after and it had only gone up by 0.2 mmol/L which I thought was a good result.

Excellent result. Hope you enjoyed it too. Chicken or duck with ginger and spring onion is also nice. I have it with a portion of Chinese stir fried veg rather than bean sprouts, but may try those next time.

Interesting just wondered how you would recast that for a veg?

I’d imagine it would depend on the person and their overall menu strategy. Many Chinese places near me do a range of veggie mains.

If opting for a low carb menu I guess you’d need to avoid things based on the (huge!) portions of rice/noodles unless sharing with other household members and only having smaller portions of those carby things.

Some sauces need treating with caution as they can be really quite sugary (sweet and sour), or thickened with lots of corn starch.

It might be possible to combine parts of some takeaway tubs with things like cauli ‘rice’ that you have at home for a lower carb version?

As a household we generally get fewer dishes than people so that we share the big portions about - and often still end up with leftovers in the fridge for a cold lunch!

I haven't had a Chinese meal for a long time.But if I did I would probably have chicken with spring onions and ginger with a side order of fried mushrooms and noodles on the side...but then that's just me.

Last edited:
Some noodle places have started offering fried cauli rice as an option - I think Chopstix is the place where I've had that

Haven't tried a Chinese meal since diagnosis but finding the tips very useful. I am wary of the amount of sugar & cornstarch in most of the sauces. Will see how our local takeaway does.

A heaped teaspoon of cornflour with thicken quarter of a pint of sauce/gravy, so you are only talking about a small amount in a single Chinese meal amounting to probably less than 10g carbs in total, so as long as you aren't having any noodles or rice with it, I think that allows for a very low carb meal still. I also find my body tends to have slightly less response to cornflour than wheat flour.

I have LADA and my elderly mother has Type 2. She loves going to Chinatown for dim sum, where she's always greeted like an old friend at our regular restaurant: a rare honour for a Westerner in that (very big and very busy) restaurant, from what I've observed. Unfortunately her favourite dim sum are pork puff pastries and egg custard tarts 🙄.

Your Mum sounds awesome @CliffH

More power to her!
Yes: the last time we went, I entered the restaurant just ahead of her. The person at Reception only saw me to begin with and so their expression didn't change. However, when they saw my Mum they broke out into beams and called the Manager over, who started shaking my Mum's hand 🙂.

Yes: the last time we went, I entered the restaurant just ahead of her. The person at Reception only saw me to begin with and so their expression didn't change. However, when they saw my Mum they broke out into beams and called the Manager over, who started shaking my Mum's hand 🙂.

Love it! :star:

Back