Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy2202

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Good evening crew, hope we’re all good.

Chinese evening this evening.

Just getting over tonsillitis so trying to put a bit of weight back on 🙂

I used to eat Chinese twice a week without fail before diabetes, so this is also a very nice treat for me nowadays as it isn’t appropriate anymore. (Before anyone says ‘why does it matter you just inject for it) the reason why is we don’t have a Chinese that do home delivery here, you would have to pick it up, and that just isn’t what I’m prepared to do once I’m home from work and taking the dog out im in for the evening! 🙂

So tonight Chinese is from Waitrose.

Now I’ve worked out that my meal will total 162g of carbs.

My ratio currently is around 1:10 maybe 1:15

But there is no chance I’d inject 16 units for this meal - I would freak out 🙂

Would others do this?

I would be more inclined to inject for about half of it and then see what happens with my levels and correct later on.

162 carbs sounds like a really big meal. (nothing wrong with that). The bigger the meal, the more I find I need to split the bolus, because it takes me a long time to digest a bigger meal, and there’s more of a margin for error, so I think your strategy to inject for half, and then see how you go, is a good one.

Ahh that makes sense then. That was easy. Thank you.

Yes my meals are large

Attachments

• 77B8E48D-2EB9-4979-A2B4-7495509E3E16.jpeg
    77B8E48D-2EB9-4979-A2B4-7495509E3E16.jpeg
    55.4 KB · Views: 28
I inject what I’m comfortable with and then do a second bolus or correct later, for meals that are a lot of carbs.

I inject what I’m comfortable with and then do a second bolus or correct later, for meals that are a lot of carbs.

Ahh good. I didn’t know this was a done thing see, hence thinking am I fcuk injecting that much insulin thsts a death wish.

I wonder why they don’t tell you this to begin with or courses ?

I wonder why they don’t tell you this to begin with or courses ?
It’s probably not official advice is I guess why, but it’s my diabetes so I choose how to treat it. I won’t do more than 10u at once, and high carb meals tend to be slower digesting anyway, so seeing how it goes and adding a bit more later works out okay for me.

I’d split my bolus too. I’m quite cautious so I’d work out the right dose, probably inject 50% of it before eating, then 25% around 90/120 mins, then judge if I needed any more. With big meals, digestion takes longer.

That picture made my mouth water even though I’ve eaten. Yum yum!

Good evening crew, hope we’re all good.

Chinese evening this evening.

Just getting over tonsillitis so trying to put a bit of weight back on 🙂

I used to eat Chinese twice a week without fail before diabetes, so this is also a very nice treat for me nowadays as it isn’t appropriate anymore. (Before anyone says ‘why does it matter you just inject for it) the reason why is we don’t have a Chinese that do home delivery here, you would have to pick it up, and that just isn’t what I’m prepared to do once I’m home from work and taking the dog out im in for the evening! 🙂

So tonight Chinese is from Waitrose.

Now I’ve worked out that my meal will total 162g of carbs.

My ratio currently is around 1:10 maybe 1:15

But there is no chance I’d inject 16 units for this meal - I would freak out 🙂

Would others do this?

I would be more inclined to inject for about half of it and then see what happens with my levels and correct later on.
Once you've tried it, then you will know for next time. That's how most of us learn and develop strategies going forward. That's why the DAFNE course became popular. It's all very individual.

For me, if it's a stir fry chinese, then I'd take the whole amount of insulin up front. If it was something deep fried (spring roles, sweet and sour chicken), then yes, I'd split the dose.

If it's pizza then I always split the dose.

I have a weakness for sweet'n'sour ever since I was given a recipe curtesy of a lady from Hong Kong.
It's not that bright red sauce that comes from a tin that our local takeaways do.
When i did this for a "Fake-a-way" competition at the local Slimming World it got rave reviews.

This one is S & S Chicken Thighs, ( and yes, I should have taken the skin off. )
Paul G

Attachments

• SandSthighs.jpg
    SandSthighs.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 8
I have a weakness for sweet'n'sour ever since I was given a recipe curtesy of a lady from Hong Kong.
It's not that bright red sauce that comes from a tin that our local takeaways do.
When i did this for a "Fake-a-way" competition at the local Slimming World it got rave reviews.

This one is S & S Chicken Thighs, ( and yes, I should have taken the skin off. )
Paul G
Personally I would leave the skin on but take the rice off!

Paul G

Sure wife made that when doing SW.

Has Mayflower curry sauce been mentioned in group yet, if not try it as its so delicious, can be bought in Home Bargains & B&M

Ahh that makes sense then. That was easy. Thank you.

Yes my meals are large

How did it wok out @Jimmy2202 (see what I did there)

I generally find that extra large meals seem to need a different ratio (with more insulin) than I'd estimate for a regular sized meal. I think John 'Using Insulin' Walsh suggested the tipping point was often your weight in kilos as grams of carb. Eg if you weigh 80Kg, then a meal totalling 80g of carbs or more may need slightly different handling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back