Chineessee...pleeassee!

Status
Not open for further replies.

D_G

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Having a chinese tonight!

This is the first time i have been brave enough to test the takeaways! i havent eaten any fast food since diagnosis.

So im thinking i may have a beef chop suey as its beef, mushrooms, and beansprouts so fairly low carbish, or am i wrong??

I have looked around internet sites for ages trying to find carb counts for chinese food and not getting much help....is it just trial and error??

thanks x

ohhh i keep clear of chinese take away now , it has nasty effects on me , my 1 peice of advice would be that the sauces are seriously loaded with sugar any of them eg. sweet and sour or peking etc , steer well clear of them and opt for the food with soy sauce and spices in instead , and have fun munching :D

My little Collins Gem book says low carb options are clear soups, steamed baked or grilled fish or seafood, stir fried meat withou the sauce, steamed bean curd dishes, greens, beansprouts, mage tout. Not very interesting is it:( It says chopy suey is high carb:(:(

I stick to indian- tandoori chicken and salad but not everyone's cup of tea!

Not the same doing it yourself but you can do a nice stir fry with tiny bit of oil to stop the meat sticking and then pour boing water into the wok as you add the veggies etc so they sort of steam - you would need to study the packets if you wanted to add sauces though - they are the killers! Maybe someone else can come up with a reasonable substitute - maybe some sort of tomatoes based sauce with some 5 spice added?

Last edited:
Thanks squidge that does help, also says chop suey is ok too! i think its the sauce that contains all the carbs so i will pick the bits out the tray lol!

Well i think im gonna go for it, i wont know if i dont test it out, ya never know, if there is one thing i have learnt from this stupid illness, its that everyone reacts so differently to the foods so i wont know if i dont test it will i 🙂

No science in this but I have found (for me) that a small bit of most things is fine.

If you like flavours of food like me, then a portion of each that satisfies your tastebuds cant go too far wrong.

Just test and see what works 🙂 and enjoy, a treat is a treat.

'Most' chinese restaurants still use MSG and our posh local changed er 'chefs' recently and by gawd you could taste it! So be careful of that if it affects you.

Last edited:
Results!

1 Beef chop suey with 8 prawn crackers

No idea of carbs totally guessed and injected 3 units (30g carbs)

Pre-meal - 6.2
1 hour - 8.6
2 hour - 7.2
3 hour - 6.6

Happy with that!! :D

Tummy is rumbling tho....

I think it is a question of trial and error, and we all need a treat from time to time. Your numbers are looking good, but if you are still hungry have some fruit or maybe make a small side salad to go with the meal next time you want a Chinese.

I haven't had too much trouble with chinese (except taking my BG with Sweet n sour sauce on my fingers, lol), but i don't have rice and substitute noodles instead. And they insist on putting golden syrup with the banana fritters!

Chinese is fine

Here are some healthier dishes to order at Chinese Restaurants:
Hot and sour soup, wonton soup, chicken or beef chop suey, stir-fried chicken or shrimp with vegetables, and chicken chow mein. Asking for extra vegetables and less sauce can decrease carbs and help fill you up too.

Most chinese resturants have a great grilled steak . Great with veggies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back