Children - diabetes today and yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrienne

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi all

There was a bit of a discussion on the DLA thread before I went away and I didn't get the chance to respond so thought I would start a thread. I don't necessarily need replies so feel free to ignore me (some do :D)

I would like to start by saying that I have never said it is harder these days for children with diabetes than in years gone by, the condition hasn't changed, just the treatments available and the knowledge. Also I would like to add that nothing I write here is written to offend anyone or cause stress or upset. I can also back up what I say re things ie schools and speak from experience of myself and daughter and some of my friends.

I think that the worries are exactly the same and will never change ie brain damage and death, how can they change !

I think that it is just very different due to progession in understanding about diabetes and technology.

There seems to be a thing about disability. Not one of us thinks our child is disabled. We all think that they can do anything, however it takes forethought and lots of planning to achieve some things and take part in some things from just going to the park to school holidays.

Schools -

Schools these days have a different outlook generally not just about diabetes. They try and cover their backs for all eventualities, this is very different from years ago. Some schools will do everything possible to make it hard for a child with diabetes to go to that school. They have to look at risk assessments for needles and general care etc. Some will not provide anyone to inject a child at lunch time which means a parent has to go into school each lunchtime. Some will not even make sure a child has a snack. I am talking children as young as 4 and 5 up to secondary schools. On a cross country run once at a secondary school, a child of 12 years old forgot to take any hypo stuff, this happens, she was only 12 so still a child. No teacher reminded her at all and someone should have been aware, the child is under the care of the school whilst at school and they have a duty of care. The child in question collapsed with no hypo awareness and it was a very bad hypo. Luckily her sister was with her but the teachers were not aware at all as they were nowhere near ! I know others who post on this forum occasionally who have horrendous stories about their schools but that is not for me to tell.

This list goes on. However there are some great schools out there who do care and they make it their business to make Every Child Matter and Every Disabled Child Matter.

Diabetes is covered under the DDA. We all agree it is not a disability like others that we know of. However it is covered and it is covered for a number of reasons ie schools being one of them. I know lots of children whose schools have tried to stop them going on day trips or longer trips due to the diabetes. This is pure discrimination and under the DDA we can do something about this. It is not the children's fault, they should not be punished for having type 1.

Due to pumps and BB (MDI) control can be much much tighter. With this tighter control comes more hypos but the highs are much less which therefore gives our children a change of less complications later in life therefore dismissing the idea that people with D can't live as long and as parents we strive to achieve longer healthy life for our children.

With this tighter control these days this means it is much more hands on care. This does not mean that parents years ago did not care any less and it does not mean they did not do everything in their power to care for their child. They worked with what technology gave them and what the doctors told them. These days its different. Its not harder, just very very different.

This isn't a competition as to who had it worse !

I find myself having to explain and justify why I test so much to someone who had T1 as a child and why I test overnight and why I claim DLA. I claim because I am allowed to. The answer should be as simple as that and should not be questioned. Why do I need to justify myself. Its because I don't want to be seen as fraudulent. I cannot work. I have to be in school three lunchtimes/afternoons a week to cover as carer. My daughter has full time one to one paid for by the PCT which is needed for her, each child is very different and has different needs. For various reasons I have to cover some of the hours. I can't work and if I didn't have DLA we would be up sh*te creek without a paddle.

I'm sure I could go on but I needed to explain that I, along with the other parents, don't think diabetes is harder these days. We all just think it is different, very very different due to the technology and knowledge there is around.

I hope that I have explained myself ok and in such a way as not to offend anyone.🙂

Wow long message ther Adrienne.

I'm sure, or rather hope no one thinks it's a competition as to who has/had it harder! And I'm sure you're right, that the worries are basically the same.

It's a shame to read you have to explain yourself to people but some people will always question what you do as a diabetic/parent, or as a normal person.

I agree, with you that the world has gone a bit mad (not your exact words!) in terms of pigeoning everyone ito groups, for example are we disabled? but in every grouping there will be those that are marginal, just like there is no normal or average anything.

Also it sometimes feels like we live in a blame society, which depresses me, we have to have risk assesments, method statements, permits to work, where does it end?

But I think the main reason for a difference between now and "back in the day" (not that I was a diabetic (diseased person!) back then) is more knoweldge/awareness, which always has pro's and cons, and more opinions, people judge, and think they know things when perhaps they don't, and no one can really stop that!

So long as we all try and put our point across, smile now and again, and do what's best for ourselves and loved ones, within reason (which obviously is also debatable) then what else can I say!

PS You parents are quite remarkable, so give yourselves a pat on the back!

Hi Adrienne,

I can understand what you are saying and there is no offence.

I don't know how you parents can have the energy to look after a child, let alone one with Diabetes.

My niece is nearly 5 now and she wears me out after a few hours! I love her to bits though.

Hi Adrienne,

Totally agree with you here..I think however you may already know that.

Regards to schools...Nathan's in some respects are terrible...to the point I have just requested his attendence record for the whole year..with highlighted dates that he has been sent home form school because of his diabetes..and the school not wanting to take any responsibility for him being there if he even so much as mentions not feeling well. To the point on Friday last week..I had 5 phone calls form school regarding them wanting to send Nathan home..as he did'nt look to well...each time they phoned I asked what his BG was...errr....do we need to do that?? was the response..

I have a consultant he seems to think Nathan...when he can pick up on hypo warning signs..which at present is rare...thinks a level of 3 is not a problem...I however think it to be a major one.

DLA...I think all who are on here know my stance...but your right...we as parents do not need to justify ourselves in any way shape or form.

Heidi
🙂

Hi Adrienne

I agree completely with what you are saying. I was a diabetic kid (diagnosed when I was four), and I don't think things were easier or harder, they were just different. So much less was understood, and the ability to monitor and treat diabetes has come so far. When I was diagnosed, regular blood sugar testing was unheard of, and I was on a mixed insulin with set amounts of carbohydrate at set times. I can see how this would have made it both easier and harder, depending on how you look at it. I do think it's one of the main reasons that I never had any problems with school.

I think it's terrible that you have to defend yourself. You are fully entitled to things like DLA, and it does make a difference. And having to justify when and how often you test is just ridiculous! Of course it was different back then, because the technology and understanding was poorer! I also think it's different being a someone who was diabetic as a child and the parent of a diabetic. I am responsible for myself, whereas you are responsible for another person, and you do what you have to to make sure they are well and happy and healthy, and I don't think anyone should be able to criticise you for that. 😡

I have to say, reading the posts from you and the other mums, it really makes me appreciate even more what my mum did for me when I was wee! You guys are amazing as far as I am concerned. 🙂

I agree with what you've said adrienne and i think randomange is completely right I couldn't imagine having a child with diabetes and how hard it must be at times and how helpless you must feel as well sometimes. I'm glad that i didn't have diabetes as a child and at school reading the problems that you as mums face. I can only hope that my unborn child never has diabetes but if they do I hope that I can do at least half a good a job as all the mums on here do.

Hi Adrienne
I do not think your post is offensive at all. You have spoken from your heart and that is a good thing.
Us mom's did not chose to be in this position or for our precious kids to develop diabetes, but it has happened and we are just trying to do our best for them. 🙂🙂

Eloquent, and from the heart, Adrienne. It seems to me that the level of care and responsibility in some schools is lacking in much the same way as it is in adult care up and down the country - with the exception that, as adults we can make demands that a child cannot and should not have to.

There is so much waste in society, and so much greed. The people who should be castigated are those superficial non-entities who do not have the first clue what it means to live with a chronic condition, or in particular, to care for a child who does. As a true Northerener, I take off my flat cap to you!🙂

Thanks Adrienne, you have put it really well. Thanks for writing it all down like that, couldn't have been easy.

Thanks Adrienne, you have put it really well. Thanks for writing it all down like that, couldn't have been easy.

Hello Becca

Fancy meeting you here :D

I try to get out more LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back