Chilblains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello Everyone, I got Chilblains only on my toes, please let me know the treatment!!

Last edited:
Looks like you should treat with pain killers.

Hello Everyone, I got Chilblains only on my toes, please let me know the treatment!!
They can be very painful. quite a bit of info here which may help

Keep your feet warm at all times. Make sure your toes are not squashed in your shoes. If your feet do get cold don’t warm them up too quickly. That’s how I deal with them these days. Hope that helps a little.., ooh and I know they are hellish itchy but try not to scratch them as they take longer to heal xx

This time last year I developed red and black marks on my toes which looked like blood blisters.
Not knowing what they were, and with NHS consultation impractical, I went to chiropodist.
He diagnosed chilblains and prescribed a foot-warming cream, to be applied after gently filing off dead skin associated. Also I had to apply cream before walking in the cold. Worked a treat. Well worth the small consultation fee. Cream was Gewohl Fusskraft Red.
This year have avoided issue by getting warm calf-length hiking socks from Decathlon...not very elegant, but do the job!
I still use the cream on dry hard skin patches.
Hope this helps.
Good luck with it!

Last edited:
This time last year I developed red and black marks on my toes which looked like blood blisters.
Not knowing what they were, and with NHS consultation impractical, I went to chiropodist.
He diagnosed chilblains and prescribed a foot-warming cream, to be applied after gently filing off dead skin associated. Also I had to apply cream before walking in the cold. Worked a treat. Well worth the small consultation fee. Cream was Gewohl Fusskraft Red.
This year have avoided issue by getting warm calf-length hiking socks from Decathlon...not very elegant, but do the job!
I still use the cream on dry hard skin patches.
Hope this helps.
Good luck with it!
Thank you very good information... What exercise you do to keep you off from metformin?

Keep your feet warm at all times. Make sure your toes are not squashed in your shoes. If your feet do get cold don’t warm them up too quickly. That’s how I deal with them these days. Hope that helps a little.., ooh and I know they are hellish itchy but try not to scratch them as they take longer to heal xx
Thank you so much. I am trying to keep my toes warm.. Applied some calamine lotion and feeling better!!

If your toes do get cold, do NOT warm them quickly.
Chilblains are not directly caused by cold but by fast warming expanding the blood vessels too fast.

If your toes do get cold, do NOT warm them quickly.
Chilblains are not directly caused by cold but by fast warming expanding the blood vessels too fast.
I don't warm it but I guess when coming inside the home which is warm triggering it.. Or maybe hot water bath!!

Thank you very good information... What exercise you do to keep you off from metformin?
Currently, I do two walks per day, about 40-60 mins in the morning and 20-30 late afternoon. I have the dog to thank for that regime! The walks vary in intensity, from flat in nice weather to up and down hills in gales. We're fortunate where we live to have many nice walking options. This exercise seems to bring my blood glucose level down sharply, and back to baseline level following meals or snacks.
Pre Covid, I used to swim once a fortnight on average, and believed that was helpful, but can't be certain. I maybe walked less at that time.
It seems that more vigorous exercise doesn't reduce my blood glucose in the same way. I assume this is because my body has to mobilise resources thus raising level while the exercise reduces it.
I am thin with a very low BMI, and low BP, so my experience may differ from that of others, especially in respect of heavy exercise.
However, I believe the regular, low intensity exercise should be beneficial for anyone.
Hope this helps. Regards. Nick.

Very informative.. Very helpful
Currently, I do two walks per day, about 40-60 mins in the morning and 20-30 late afternoon. I have the dog to thank for that regime! The walks vary in intensity, from flat in nice weather to up and down hills in gales. We're fortunate where we live to have many nice walking options. This exercise seems to bring my blood glucose level down sharply, and back to baseline level following meals or snacks.
Pre Covid, I used to swim once a fortnight on average, and believed that was helpful, but can't be certain. I maybe walked less at that time.
It seems that more vigorous exercise doesn't reduce my blood glucose in the same way. I assume this is because my body has to mobilise resources thus raising level while the exercise reduces it.
I am thin with a very low BMI, and low BP, so my experience may differ from that of others, especially in respect of heavy exercise.
However, I believe the regular, low intensity exercise should be beneficial for anyone.
Hope this helps. Regards. Nick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back