Chilblains is this a common diabetic complaint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilly

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Chilblains I think I got blisters on end of toes and ball of foot. Podiary and doctors dont seem to know what this is.

Podiary and doctors dont seem to know what this is.
That's a bit worrying considering this is what Diabetes UK says:-

If you have diabetes then you are more likely to develop certain skin problems, such as rare blisters which can show up on your feet and legs. You can also get them on your hands and arms, but this is less common. These are sometimes known as diabetic blisters – but unlike the blisters that develop after a burn, these blisters are not painful.

The cause isn’t clear. However, you’re more likely to develop these blisters if your blood sugar levels are high. If you have neuropathy, which is damage to the nerves, your body’s reduced sensitivity can also make you more likely to develop these lesions.

Last edited:
Chilblains I think I got blisters on end of toes and ball of foot. Podiary and doctors dont seem to know what this is.

@Lilly I have chillblains sometimes, usually on my toes, but have never had one on the ball of my foot. Have you had the circulation in your feet checked?

Also - obvious but are you sure it’s not your shoes or socks causing them?

I use Snowfire @Lilly and make a point of always wearing thermal socks indoors and out. I found the cold laminate floor was making mine worse. My thermal socks are the thin ones. I also have some thick ones I wear when sitting on the sofa, like thermal slippers. There is also a tablet you can get if they’re very bad.

I get chilblains because I have Reynauds.
The way I understand it is that our blood vessels shrink when cold. This is more extreme with Reynauds - the blood vessels shrink too small to let blood flow.
When cold extremities warm up, the blood vessels grow. If they warm up too fast, the blood vessels grow too fast and kind of “explode”. This is what causes the redness and pain.

I try to avoid chilblains by not letting my feet get too cold which means thermal socks like @Inka and thick slippers or an extra pain of socks indoors. And, if my feet do get cold, I warm them slowly.

This is not foolproof, I still get them. Savlon is usually enough to treat them.

My chilblains are only ever on my toes. Never on the balls of my feet - I do not think the blood vessels are as small there.

Sorry to hear about your tootsies @Lilly

Are the blisters painful? My late wife used to get chilblains, especially in our first house before we put the heating in.

Have your pulses / circulation been checked recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back