chilblains and very cold feet how do you type 1 manage this please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilly

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi type 1 chilblains and very cold feet how do you all manage this thanks

I don’t get chilblains or cold feet. Have you spoken to your GP or had your diabetes nurse check your feet?

This is probably a bit late but the way to manage chilblains is not to let your feet get cold or, if they do, don’t warm them up too fast.
When our feet get cold, our blood vessels shrink. And when they warm up, the blood vessels grow. If they warm up too fast, the blood vessels break which is what causes the pain.

As I have Reynauds, chilblains are a frequent occurrence even when I try to keep my feet warm. I find something like Germolene or Savlon is best to numb the pain whilst continuing to keep my feet warm to give the chilblains a chance to heal and not “spread”.

I am intrigued why you ask about chilblains in terms of Type 1. Maybe it’s just me but I had chilblains decades before Type 1.

My feet got extremely cold in that weather before Christmas and I got chilblains and asked at the pharmacy if they had anything specifically for them as I sure I remember something from years ago but they just said E45 or similar, that did help with the itching.
I bought some thermal socks which have made a huge difference but my toes are still a bit red. I showed them to my GP when I went about something else and he said it was nothing to worry about. I do rub Hydromol cream on them every morning but a good moisureiser would likely do

Hi type 1 chilblains and very cold feet how do you all manage this thanks

There are thermal socks you can buy (Heatholders, I think they’re called) that are 7x warmer than normal socks. Also, use mats or rugs indoors where you have hard surfaces. It sounds trivial but it can make a surprising difference.

Two pairs of socks in winter although I don' get chilblains, just keens (dry cracked skin) which is always more likely to happen when feet get cold, so keeping them warm and moisturized is very important and I always wear slippers/crocs in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back