Chicken nuggets, Cauliflower and Ice Cream!! What happened?

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hey all... I'm freaking out a bit. My blood sugar before I ate dinner, was at 65. I ate chicken nuggets and some cauliflower. It went down a point. I started feeling shaky and I ate a ice cream sandwich. It dropped another point. I ate another ice cream sandwich, and a fruit roll up. It went down 2 more points. I ate 2 glucose tablets, and it went down 2 more points. I'm freaking out. This has never happened to me before. Any suggestions?

Hello, how are you feeling now? At the equivalent of 3.6mmol. I would have taken the glucose tablets prior to eating the meal. Is your 65 checked with a BG meter too? Hopefully, you’ll see your bloods come up before the sensor readings respond.

Hey all... I'm freaking out a bit. My blood sugar before I ate dinner, was at 65. I ate chicken nuggets and some cauliflower. It went down a point. I started feeling shaky and I ate a ice cream sandwich. It dropped another point. I ate another ice cream sandwich, and a fruit roll up. It went down 2 more points. I ate 2 glucose tablets, and it went down 2 more points. I'm freaking out. This has never happened to me before. Any suggestions?

Can you confirm that you’re looping with your Omnipod? What did you bolus for your meal?

Are you still in hospital?

Going down 2 points is 0.1 - nothing to worry about. The glucose tablets take time to work and a blood sugar reading is only a snapshot in time and won’t be 100% accurate.

Were you fingerpricking or looking at a Libre?

How many years have you had Type 1?

Why did you not have the glucose tablets straight away when you were at 65mg/dl which is 3.6mmol/L here in the UK ie hypo?
Eating the meal first before your hypo treatment will delay the hypo treatment working and the meal time insulin will be taking you down lower all the while. You should not inject meal time (bolus) insulin when you are below 70 (3.9mmols) but treat the hypo first and foremost and only inject and eat your meal once you are up above 70.
When did you inject your meal time (bolus) insulin and when did you eat and how much did you inject?
Do you carb count?
Ice cream is the worst thing you can eat when you are hypo because it is high fat and will slow the absorption of the carbs you ate.

Can you confirm that you’re looping with your Omnipod? What did you bolus for your meal?

Are you still in hospital?

Going down 2 points is 0.1 - nothing to worry about. The glucose tablets take time to work and a blood sugar reading is only a snapshot in time and won’t be 100% accurate.

Were you fingerpricking or looking at a Libre?

How many years have you had Type 1?
Yes, 8-10 units "I am not committed, unfortunately".
I am out.
Libre.

I am out.
Libre.

Your first post said you were using the Omnipod and Dexcom G6…or was that one of your neighbours that you’ve been posting for?

What do you mean by 8-10 units? Isn’t the bolus stored on your pump pdm? Were some of those units a correction dose. If not, it seems a lot of insulin for a meal with few carbs.

Hello, I’m starting to see what might have happened. These sensors are great at showing what your BG status is & where it’s heading. In my experience, Dispite eating sweets to treat the hypo, it can still drop a little lower on the graph before steadily rising? I’ve noticed this with using a meter too if I test 5minutes apart from the initial test as opposed to just waiting 20 minutes for the next fingerprick. It can look scary.

Hello, I’m starting to see what might have happened. These sensors are great at showing what your BG status is & where it’s heading. In my experience, Dispite eating sweets to treat the hypo, it can still drop a little lower on the graph before steadily rising? I’ve noticed this with using a meter too if I test 5minutes apart from the initial test as opposed to just waiting 20 minutes for the next fingerprick. It can look scary.
And often cause you to over treat a hypo....

Yes, I think this is a scientific and logical explanation for what happened.
It's a struggle to live with diabetes.
Satan’s little helper ⇒ :thankyou:

It also sounds like you had too much insulin for your meal. You said you were looping with the Omnipod and G6 (not Libre) - perhaps your pump/loop settings need checking? Worrying if your pump told you to have 8-10 units unnecessarily.

I am out.
Libre.

Don't know what your insulin to carb ratio is but that seems like a fair whack of insulin depending on how many chicken nuggets you ate.

Bolus wizard on Omnipod pump will only advise you on a bolus dose depending on what you entered, taking into account your current bg & whether there's still some active insulin from a previous dose.

Don't know if you know but you can override any recommend bolus dose & manually input dose yourself if you feel things ain't right.

I think we established that form some earlier posts as they mentioned calling 911 which was a bit of a giveaway.

I thought that was the account of the friend? There are a few places in the world that use mg/dl, including a few places in Europe I think

So are you using a pump or a pen @ElizabethMcCallister ? A Dexcom G6 or a Libre? Are you 34 or 38? I think the confusion has stemmed from more than that removed thread.

Back