Chicken cacciatore (my version)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felinia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
When my friend gave me a recipe, it reminded me of a favourite I used to eat at an Italian restaurant in my lunch break in the 70's (yes I am that old!!). So I fished out my slowcooker, visited Dr Google, and tried this recipe out.

Serves 5, 237 cals and 9.7gm carbs per serving

300gm skinless boneless chicken thighs (5)
1 red and 1 yellow pepper thinly sliced
Button mushrooms (optional)
1 onion thinly sliced
454gm chopped tinned tomatoes with herbs
1tbsp tomato puree
2 tsp sugar
2 Knorr chicken stock cubes
Crushed clove of garlic (optional)
Heaped teaspoon of cornflour (optional for thickening sauce one hour before end of cooking time)

Put all except cornflour in the slow cooker on high for 1 hour
Turn down to low and cook for a further 5 hours, stirring occasionally, adding optional cornflour 1 hour before end of cooking time.

I didn't add any water but there was more than enough liquid. I kept the spare and some of the veggies, puree'd it and it made a tomato pepper soup.

Chicken cacciatore.jpg

When my friend gave me a recipe, it reminded me of a favourite I used to eat at an Italian restaurant in my lunch break in the 70's (yes I am that old!!). So I fished out my slowcooker, visited Dr Google, and tried this recipe out.

1 onion thinly sliced
1tbsp tomato puree
2 tsp sugar
Heaped teaspoon of cornflour (optional for thickening sauce one hour before end of cooking time)

Turn down to low and cook for a further 5 hours, stirring occasionally, adding optional cornflour 1 hour before end of cooking time.

I didn't add any water but there was more than enough liquid. I kept the spare and some of the veggies, puree'd it and it made a tomato pepper soup.

View attachment 29747
That looks delicious, I always find I have too much liquid even though I never add any whereas in my Le Cruset, things are often don't have enough.

You can always thicken it with oat bran or psyllium husk or chia seeds rather than cornflour if you want to reduce the carbs by not using cornflour.... and increasing the healthy fibre content.

And you can play tunes on on it. Add a handful of chopped mixed herbs for a Mediterranean slant, some Ras-El-Hannout spice mix for that north African feel or a dollop of one of the Patak curry spice mixes for an Asian touch. Possibilities are endless. I make a version with chorizo, paprika and half a sliced lemon.

1 onion thinly sliced
1tbsp tomato puree
2 tsp sugar

View attachment 29747
Yummy, this sounds delicious, will be making this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back