Chemotherapy and diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

happydog

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have now had 3 cycles of EC Cyclophosphamide chemotherapy for breast cancer. My BG reacts to the steroids and it goes into the 20's. It does come down once the steroids are stopped. Metformin was a disaster. Terrible tummy cramps and diahorea, not the best when you are hooked up to lots of drips etc. Last week was the worst so far. I am not going to take it again. In a couple of weeks I am going onto new drugs but the steroids will be doubled so I was concerned about my BG. Contacted the doctor and have at last been told that I will be put on gliclazide. I do hope that this will work as I really don't want to have to go into hospital as I have no one to take care of my dogs. I have been warned that the BG may go too low. Does anyone else have this medication? What should I have in case it goes too low? I think I have heard jelly babies are good. Should I be trying to restrict my food intake so that my BG does not go up too much? 12.4 this morning which is too high. :(

Hi @happydog keep going and all of us are willing the treatment to go well.

I take gliclazide. Initially it was at a high dose but that was reduced as things came under control and currently I take a minimal dose. It worked for me and I have never seen a dangerously low blood glucose. Do a bit of extra finger bodging when you start on it to get a handle on how it is working for you and I am sure things will turn out fine. Its just a question of getting the dose right as far as I can see.

HI @happydog Sorry to read about your breast cancer. I hope the treatment is working and not making you feel too bad.
I have been warned that the BG may go too low.
This will be a hypo (or hypoglycaemia). Hypos are not pleasant but you should recover quickly if you take fast acting glucose such as LIft or Dextrose tablets, fruit juice, jelly babies or non-diet soda such as "full fat" coke. You only need to take this when your levels get low but you must carry hypo treatment with you at all times.
A hypo is a blood sugar reading below 4.0. If your body has been used to higher levels, you may find your body reacts with a "false hypo" above 4.

Good luck with your chemo and your glycazide

TY for your reply Docb. I have always controlled my condition with diet and exercise so this is new territory for me. I have been told that a low dose will be tried at first. I will take your advice and do lots of tests. 🙂

TY Helli Thank you for your advice. I know what to expect now. I am more concerned about a reading way over the 20's.
Thank you also for your good wishes. I have not had much help with the diabetes during this time and I cannot believe that I am unique in being diabetic and having to undergo chemotherapy. Thank goodness for this forum 🙂

Well I spose BG too high = slow death whereas BG too low can = fast death, and that's why there is generally more emphasis on the lows rather than the highs. But when starting on eg Gliclazide - just the same as if they'd started you on insulin - it is a matter of test test test since nobody on earth can predict how your body will handle it. Sadly nobody can dismiss it by saying 'Oh I'm hardly worried about that happening' - if you do happen to go suddenly seriously lower than ever - your brain will NOT function properly and you'll utterly hate that I can assure you.

In some ways I'd rather they had suggested short term insulin because it's can actually be more predictable providing the patient does test test test.

TY for your reply Trophywench. The hospital mentioned short term insulin but this suggestion was dismissed by the surgery. I have had very little constructive help with my condition. From day one the doctor and nurse have wanted me to go onto metformin. They said it could not be controlled by diet and exercise. I had non-compliant put on my notes when I refused. I have had dire warning about low carb diets and constant reminders that the disease is progressive and sooner or later I will get the complications. The DN also suggested that I had brought it on my self because I overate and did not do enough exercise. I have never been overweight and have always walked daily as I have dogs. During this chemotherapy time it as all been down to me to talk about the high BG. It takes days to get a reply. I will carry on. I would not be as well as I am without the kindness and knowledge of the people on this forum. It has been a life saver and I am so grateful. Thank you all. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back