chemo/steroids bg levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotPink

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hallo
I have not posted in a while because I am struggling with a cancer diagnosis. Have begun chemo and am on steroids which are spiking my BG levels. I have spoken to my oncology team and they are listening and trying to accommodate a lower dose of steroid and maybe change the meds at some point but I am concerned that regular doses of these steroids will permanently spike my usually under control pre diabetes to full blown diabetes. I am not sleeping due to the meds and feel permanently high. Has anyone got any advice please specific?

When I had a course of chemo, the steroids would spike me up to the low 30s for a short time. My oncologist had warned me and said look at which is most urgent. High spikes for a month or two or the potential risk of the cancer?

Seemed a simple choice however frustrating the spikes were going against all the practices I'd been used to.

HTH and good luck.

When I had a course of chemo, the steroids would spike me up to the low 30s for a short time. My oncologist had warned me and said look at which is most urgent. High spikes for a month or two or the potential risk of the cancer?

Seemed a simple choice however frustrating the spikes were going against all the practices I'd been used to.

HTH and good luck.
Thank you for your response. And yes, it does seem initially to go against all I am working for to control diabetes. But did your spikes return to a more normal level after the meds?

Last edited:
It's along time ago now, but IIRC I had 5 days of steroids with each cycle, and the spikes came immediately regardless of eating and went down with huge insulin compensation, and stopped almost s soon as the 5 days were over.

As I say this was along time ago, 10 years in a week or so, so my memory is a bit flakey. But I'm still here so it couldn't have done too much harm eh?

So sorry to hear about your cancer @NotPink :(

Hopefully they will be able to balance your steroids with increased BG support / meds - perhaps even short term insulin use?

Hallo
I have not posted in a while because I am struggling with a cancer diagnosis. Have begun chemo and am on steroids which are spiking my BG levels. I have spoken to my oncology team and they are listening and trying to accommodate a lower dose of steroid and maybe change the meds at some point but I am concerned that regular doses of these steroids will permanently spike my usually under control pre diabetes to full blown diabetes. I am not sleeping due to the meds and feel permanently high. Has anyone got any advice please specific?
Hello it's nice to see you back.
Would it be an option to have insulin whilst on steroids? Wishing you all the very best with your treatment. (((((((((((((hugs)))))))))

Hello it's nice to see you back.
Would it be an option to have insulin whilst on steroids? Wishing you all the very best with your treatment. (((((((((((((hugs)))))))))
Thank you @Pumper_Sue for your kindness I shall speak to the nurses on next treatment cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back