Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiritfree

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I haven't been on here for a while, due to other health problems and depression. I am having trouble with cheese toasties. The cheese seems to be raising my bg hours after eating. Can anyone give me advice on how to manage this?

Hi. Sorry to hear you have been struggling mentally and with other health issues but pleased that you have come back to the forum for support.

The cheese is unlikely to be raising your BG levels itself, but it may be delaying the release of glucose from the carbs in the bread. Fatty foods can slow the release of glucose from foods eaten with them.... often referred to as the "pizza effect" and many people find a split dose of bolus insulin helps. ie. some injected before the meal and the rest an hour or so afterwards.
Having said that, do you have cheese toasties at a particular time of day? Could it be a basal issue that is causing your BG to rise afterwards? We are coming to the time of year when many of us need to increase our basal doses due to the change of season/ambient temp/length of day etc, so it may be that which is also having an impact and your levels are rising because your background insulin isn't holding you steady at that time of day now like it was in the warmer summer weather.

Lovely to see you again @spiritfree

Sorry to hear you’ve been having a tough time. Hope you manage to find a dose split that works for your cheese toasties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back