Cheese Protects Against Diabetes: Cambridge Study

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Good news for cheese lovers. New British research finds that that saturated fat in cheese, yogurt, and other dairy products may protect against Type 2 diabetes.

Researchers from Cambridge University and the Medical Research Council studied the diets of more than 340,000 people to see if there was a link between saturated fat and the development of diabetes. What they found is that while red meat, fried food, alcohol, and carbohydrates appear to have an impact on the development of Type 2 diabetes, dairy foods seem to protect against the disease, The Telegraph reports.

http://www.newsmaxhealth.com/Health-News/diabetes-cheese-prevention/2014/08/07/id/587515/

I eat lots of cheese, so hopefully I won't get Type 2 diabetes...😉

Me too, perhaps that is why I don't have it anymore? 🙂:D

NHS ticks off UK media for getting 'cheese prevents diabetes story wrong'

"Most media outlets", including some stellar Fleet Street titles, have been ticked off by NHS Choices for getting a story on cheese "preventing" type2 Diabetes all wrong.

The real story goes something like this:

Saturated fat in cheese, yoghurt and other dairy products may protect against diabetes.

A study has found that people with higher levels of the types of saturated fatty acid found in dairy products are less likely to develop type 2 diabetes.

While saturated fat – found in butter, cheese and red meat – is generally considered unhealthy and linked to high levels of cholesterol and heart disease, as well as type 2 diabetes, researchers found that those people with higher levels of “odd-chain” fatty acids in their blood samples are less likely to develop T2 Diabetes. Odd-chain saturated fatty acids are more likely where diets are high in dairy products, cakes and cookies, nuts and seeds, and fruit and vegetables.

http://www.theinformationdaily.com/...-getting-cheese-prevents-diabetes-story-wrong

Yay, so I can carry on eating cakes as well as cheese! :D

Actually I don't take much notice of any stories like this, one minute they tell you a food is good for you and prevents illnesses, the next they tell you it's really bad and is one of the prime causes of something nasty. If you believed all of them you'd have nothing left that you could safely eat, or at the very least you'd be mightily confused :confused: 😱

Yay, so I can carry on eating cakes as well as cheese! :D

Actually I don't take much notice of any stories like this, one minute they tell you a food is good for you and prevents illnesses, the next they tell you it's really bad and is one of the prime causes of something nasty. If you believed all of them you'd have nothing left that you could safely eat, or at the very least you'd be mightily confused :confused: 😱

This is quite an amusing website, it classifies all the things that the Daily Mail has said will either cause or cure cancer - many things fall into both categories! 😱

http://kill-or-cure.herokuapp.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back