checking feet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carina1962

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
i know that we're supposed to check our feet daily but what exactly are we meant to be looking for? i moisturise my feet every morning and try and get rid of hard skin on the heels using a Ped Egg but to be honest not sure what i am looking for which would raise a concern - any advice please?

Hi Carina - my podiatrist told me not to use a ped egg, just because it could theoretically cut your foot.. I have a foot file which I bought from superdrug, it uses something like pumice stone..

When you check your feet you're looking for any cuts or sores, especially if they've been there for a while and they're not healing. If they're not healing, you should make an appointment asap to avoid them getting infected.

Hope this helps!

I was also told avoid the ped egg it could make your feet worse, watch out for hard skin and sores

Good question Carina and answers to! I have been using pedegg and flexitol, so will stop the egg now.

I asked my nurse if should be referred to a podiatrist at all and she said no - just look for pressure soresS! She also said ridiculous to send me to a dietician too as I know how to lose weight! She also never mentioned eyes.

My review is next week for my first hba1c, so should I insist on all 3? Are we entitled to these automatically if d/e controlled type 2?

I was told if I must file hard skin off my feet not to use anything metallic and that something like pumis stone or emery boards were better as they cut the feet less.

other advice included looking for small cuts and blisters and if they didn't heel (heal?) get medical help and to keep my feet clean to cut down the risk of infection.

Also check inside of shoes regularly to make sure nothing excpet feet go in them and to wear shoes that would protect and support my feet.

Good question Carina and answers to! I have been using pedegg and flexitol, so will stop the egg now.

I asked my nurse if should be referred to a podiatrist at all and she said no - just look for pressure soresS! She also said ridiculous to send me to a dietician too as I know how to lose weight! She also never mentioned eyes.

My review is next week for my first hba1c, so should I insist on all 3? Are we entitled to these automatically if d/e controlled type 2?

You should definitely be having the eye test atleast once a year (that's the full eye test where they take a picture of the retina for comparative purposes). This should be arranged through you GP's practice.

Ideally you should have your feet checked too (but I must admit that I am still lax with that --> but do check my own feet regularly).

Whether or not you use a dietician depends on how well you think you are progressing. I see one, but may finish depending on how my next meeting goes (the last meeting wasn't very satisfactory, but I have my cholesterol levels to talk about now!).

Andy 🙂

As Andy says, you definitely should have the eye test (retinopathy scan). Seeing a podiatrist doesn't happen everywhere it seems, so some people get their feet checked by the practice nurse. There are a number of tests that should be done to check pulses, sensitivity and also for any swelling, soreness, injuries, abrasions, toenail problems, corns, bunions etc.!

Again, dieticians seem to be available only according to where you live. I saw one shortly after diagnosis and had to take a fortnight food diary in so she could check and advise about what should and what shouldn't be on it. More essential for Type 2s, I think as you probably won't be injecting insulin to cover some of the more 'spiky' foods. Also, you may be more likely to need to consider weight loss, if this is contributing to your insulin resistance.

thanks for that everyone, i'm glad i asked the question now and will stop using the ped egg and buy a foot file instead. I had my 1st eye screening for retinopathy last Thurs but i am seeing my DN tomorrow afternoon so will ask her about getting feet checked on the NHS - will report back!

Hi guys, whats a ped egg? I use a pumice sometimes but normally a ceramic thing that has holes in and thus cuts into the hard dead skin, be lost without it. I'll google ped egg.

Cheers steff, I'll avoid it if I see it, cross the road and everything!
Although to be honest it doesn't look that bad but what do I know!?🙄

Rossi_Mac, what is it that you use? i'm seeing my DN tomorrow afternoon so will ask her what the best thing to use on feet for hard skin

I'm truely not sure what it is called, although I have just googled it and it looks like something that is called a terra cotta foot scrubber!

Hope it goes okay tomorrow

Rossi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back