Chat with my pharmacist.

Sharron1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help. My local pharmacist was asking me about diabetes, which is fine. Then he told me it is not a good idea to test your sugar levels if you are hot (he meant in temperature) as heat can increase the level. Is that correct? I have never really bothered, I used to test simply a couple of hours after eating whatever.

Sally71

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
I've never heard that one before!

Sharron1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have not seen anyone ever mention it. I just smiled and thanked him for the info and then thought I would ask the experts.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help. My local pharmacist was asking me about diabetes, which is fine. Then he told me it is not a good idea to test your sugar levels if you are hot (he meant in temperature) as heat can increase the level. Is that correct? I have never really bothered, I used to test simply a couple of hours after eating whatever.
New one on me too!
On the various Ambulance type real life shows, one of the things they same to do regularly with sick people is to take Blood Sugars as well as the normal stuff.

Bruce Stephens

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Then he told me it is not a good idea to test your sugar levels if you are hot (he meant in temperature) as heat can increase the level.
Well, if you're hot because you have an infection then that'll (almost surely) increase BG, and that's possibly not something that should worry you since it's likely to be temporary. (Though obviously that depends.)

Otherwise it sounds like nonsense. I've never heard it mentioned, anyway. Check your glucose meter manual to see if that says anything. (There are usually some temperature limits but they're on the meter rather than the person.)

DaveB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Never heard that.

Ljc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Well, if you're hot because you have an infection then that'll (almost surely) increase BG, and that's possibly not something that should worry you since it's likely to be temporary. (Though obviously that depends.)

Otherwise it sounds like nonsense. I've never heard it mentioned, anyway. Check your glucose meter manual to see if that says anything. (There are usually some temperature limits but they're on the meter rather than the person.)
I was going to say the same :)

helli

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Heat can impact our blood sugar levels. My unscientific theory is it is related to some bodies getting stressed by the heat.
It is not that the reading is inaccurate but that is the true reading.
It feel to me the same as saying "Don't test when you're ill because your levels will be higher."

Personally, with T1, I want to know what my levels are regardless whether I have just spent an hour on the bike, an hour in a meeting or just woken up.

Bruce Stephens

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Heat can impact our blood sugar levels. My unscientific theory is it is related to some bodies getting stressed by the heat.
I tend to find warmer weather lowers BG levels. A quick google search doesn't show much beyond https://www.piedmont.org/living-better/change-in-temperature-can-affect-blood-sugar-levels (heat can cause dehydration, can increase blood flow allowing quicker absorption of insulin, etc.)

Nothing that I can see that would support the pharmacist's concern. (If we ignore dehydration.)

leonS

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have always thought that a rise in BG due to infection is something to warry about and that the insulin should be increased (for type 1 at least). The rise can be dramatic and is the body's standard response to stress.

High BG due to infection can cause as much damage as at any other time. Take a look at sick day rules.

Incidentally high temperature as in the tropics tends to reduce the beed for insulin, but not by a large amount.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I tend to find warmer weather lowers BG levels. A quick google search doesn't show much beyond https://www.piedmont.org/living-better/change-in-temperature-can-affect-blood-sugar-levels (heat can cause dehydration, can increase blood flow allowing quicker absorption of insulin, etc.)

Nothing that I can see that would support the pharmacist's concern. (If we ignore dehydration.)
Just what I was thinking Bruce! Warmer temperatures generally seem to reduce my BG as I become more sensitive to insulin (this is why people taking insulin are advised not to go in hot tubs and saunas I believe)

atoll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
i was always under the impression that normal body temperature was fairly stable in people that are able to sweat to maintain a constant body temperature,perhaps the pharmacist thought you were Royalty or Latino.......

Sharron1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Interestingly my family think I have royal aspirations. But i don't think that is a compliment...

Sally71

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
My daughter thinks we treat her like Cinderella on the rare occasions that she does the dishes..........
LOL you are lucky, my daughter won’t even do the dishes, it doesn’t matter what we offer her as a reward she'd rather go without it!

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Try not washing up then. If she ever wants to eat or drink again, she'll have to wash a plate, cup, glass .....

Don't cook a meal one day. Tell her you had planned on cooking whatever - but no clean saucepans or utensils so you couldn't.

When I was 11 and went to senior school, mum went back to work. We were told that we had to help if we wanted our pocket money. We did - and were rewarded with more pocket money every week - but not immediately I stress!

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Never ever even heard that let alone been told it. There again only been diabetic for 48 years - perhaps your pharmacist has been diabetic longer than me and knows more?