Charging for a sugar free drink!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruth Goode

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
We went to Trafford Centre yesterday for lunch and went for 'Spud as u like' as a healthly option esp for Carly rather than Mcdonalds or KFC, their kids meal are half spud with filling and a Robinsons drink 'Five' which got 16.8g of sugar, because Carly's level is already high we asked for instead of this drink can Carly have a bottle of water or diet coke and they asked for 50p extra! We argued and told them to forget it and went to Mcdonalds for a diet coke! :-S

I think that's terrible - especially somewhere that is supposed to be 'healthy'! Kids meals aren't great on the whole though anywhere you go. Good for you to refuse to pay extra though.

We went to Trafford Centre yesterday for lunch and went for 'Spud as u like' as a healthly option esp for Carly rather than Mcdonalds or KFC, their kids meal are half spud with filling and a Robinsons drink 'Five' which got 16.8g of sugar, because Carly's level is already high we asked for instead of this drink can Carly have a bottle of water or diet coke and they asked for 50p extra! We argued and told them to forget it and went to Mcdonalds for a diet coke! :-S

Totally disgusting they should be named and shamed, good you fought your corner and took your business elsewhere hun x Glad you didnt succumb and paid them extra

Hi Ruth, A nice polite email to the chain airing your concerns about then supposidly being healthy might make then stand up and be counted and introduce wateras an option as part of the deal - Doesn't water cost less than soft drinks any way?

This is somthing I find totally maddening as I don't drink soft drinks, low sugar or diet at all and only have bottled water.

tap, rather than bottled, water

Slightly aside, but many people actually object to the extra environmental costs of bottled drinking water, when there is safe water available free from taps throughout the UK. OK, water from bore holes (basically south east of line between Wash and Solent) doesn't taste as nice (at least to me) as water from reservoirs, but I still prefer to drink tap (or stream) water wherever possible.
I believe there are many campaigns promoting free tap water in restaurants, including http://www.londonontap.org/ Admittedly, probably not the case for burger / baked potato chains, but worth mentioning, anyway. I can't remember when I last ate in a restaurant, other than the odd burger.

I was more angry with water because I know it is cheaper, anyway I have emailed to Spudulike at the same time as I started this thread. I know 50p is nothing but its so annoying as most places are happy to exchange for free

I know 50p is nothing but its so annoying as most places are happy to exchange for free
It soon all adds up though hun for every family doing what you did there getting 50p out of them which is wrong.Hope you get a rapid,good response from spudulike x

I think that is terrible. All the 50ps add up. I think you should write and point out healthy meals should come with the option of a healthier or sugar free drink, this is especially important for anyone trying to control their weight or with diabetes. This policy also sounds discriminatory, but it idepends how much of a point you want to make. I'd definitly complain...

We have been contacted by the Trafford Centre following your visit to our Spudulike unit earlier this month.* First of all we can only apologise that your request for a diet drink or water was not dealt with in a more sympathetic way.* I would expect that our crew member at the time was ?following orders? rather than offering an alternative drink in this particular case.
If you would care to send me your home address I will send you a voucher and hopefully, if you visit us again, our customer service will be to the standard you would normally expect.
Once again, please accept our apologies.
Jill Krebs
Administration Director

JUST THOUGHT YOU LIKE TO SEE IT 🙂

Credit to them for answering quickly, politely and offering a voucher. Bet someone also has some more training.

But it was all ridiculous in the first place! Our water in Manchester is fine.

Short, sweet and to the point.

Now the acid test? Will you try them out again?

Andy 🙂

Prob, yeah when Carly get hungry again... this time I'll guard myself with this email with me ;-)

Nice to get any kind of correspondence so good on them for that, but it all could of been avoided in the first place grr x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back