Charcot foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dean Curwood

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi I am a type 2 diabetic and have been for over 30 years. I am currently recovering from a large foot debridement because of an infection. It now seems I have Charcot. I am interested to hear from anyone who has been through this.

I have just been diagnosed with Charcot foot. I am interested to hear from.anyone who also has this and what treatment they have had. I have been given a big grey plastic walking boot to wear.

Sorry to hear about the problems you have been experiencing with your feet @Dean Curwood

One of our members @Flower also lives with Charcot Foot, and wrote about her experiences here:

Hello and welcome @Dean Curwood

I'm sorry to hear you've been diagnosed with Charcot foot. It is thankfully quite a rare complication but it has to be carefully managed to try and limit the damage that can occur.

Have you lost total sensation and feeling in your feet from neuropathy or do you still have some feeling present in your feet, eg being able to tell where your feet are in relation to the floor or sensing pain if you get any cuts or blisters? Presumably you had debridement for an infected ulcer or some other foot infection - I hope that is mending.

Has your foot changed shape or have you been diagnosed in time to try and prevent bone collapse? Hopefully you're in a boot to try and limit any potential damage and your foot is still intact. It is a long waiting game with Charcot for things to settle and patience is the best approach. I was diagnosed 26 years back and had never heard of Charcot foot, sadly nor had the Doctor I saw in A&E who sent me away with a sprain diagnosis. 26 years later I'm still in a cast with the choice of a below knee amputation or to try and maintain my collapsed foot and ankle in a cast.

In terms of treatment I've needed crutches to walk for the past 26 years and had boots, casts, some non weight bearing, some partial weight bearing, skin grafts on ulcers that developed due to pressure on the wrong parts of my feet after bone collapse, my toes surgically fused back in to their sockets after they all dislocated, 3 ankle fusions to try and attach my foot to my leg after my ankle joint collapsed. Sadly none of the unions worked properly as my bone chemistry isn't good after 43 years of diabetes and I didn't grow enough new bone to hold everything in the right position.

It is a long haul but the treatment depends on what has happened to your foot structure and which areas are damaged or most likely to be damaged. At the least you should be seen regularly by a high risk diabetes podiatry team who check your feet for any problems and for you to maintain/try to get the best control of your diabetes, blood pressure, cholesterol and all the other stuff we need to juggle.

If your foot remains intact then hopefully with time you can get a custom made pair of shoes or insoles that offload the pressure from areas vulnerable to break down and ulcers. Charcot foot is a high risk foot problem and you need to be super vigilant ongoing for any changes you notice and seek help asap.

This information is from the Diabetes UK site about Charcot foot

I hope things settle down for you and that you have been diagnosed in good time before things get permanently damaged. Best wishes.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome @Dean Curwood

I'm sorry to hear you've been diagnosed with Charcot foot. It is thankfully quite a rare complication but it has to be carefully managed to try and limit the damage that can occur.

Have you lost total sensation and feeling in your feet from neuropathy or do you still have some feeling present in your feet, eg being able to tell where your feet are in relation to the floor or sensing pain if you get any cuts or blisters? Presumably you had debridement for an infected ulcer or some other foot infection - I hope that is mending.

Has your foot changed shape or have you been diagnosed in time to try and prevent bone collapse? Hopefully you're in a boot to try and limit any potential damage and your foot is still intact. It is a long waiting game with Charcot for things to settle and patience is the best approach. I was diagnosed 26 years back and had never heard of Charcot foot, sadly nor had the Doctor I saw in A&E who sent me away with a sprain diagnosis. 26 years later I'm still in a cast with the choice of a below knee amputation or to try and maintain my collapsed foot and ankle in a cast.

In terms of treatment I've needed crutches to walk for the past 26 years and had boots, casts, some non weight bearing, some partial weight bearing, skin grafts on ulcers that developed due to pressure on the wrong parts of my feet after bone collapse, my toes surgically fused back in to their sockets after they all dislocated, 3 ankle fusions to try and attach my foot to my leg after my ankle joint collapsed. Sadly none of the unions worked properly as my bone chemistry isn't good after 43 years of diabetes and I didn't grow enough new bone to hold everything in the right position.

It is a long haul but the treatment depends on what has happened to your foot structure and which areas are damaged or most likely to be damaged. At the least you should be seen regularly by a high risk diabetes podiatry team who check your feet for any problems and for you to maintain/try to get the best control of your diabetes, blood pressure, cholesterol and all the other stuff we need to juggle.

If your foot remains intact then hopefully with time you can get a custom made pair of shoes or insoles that offload the pressure from areas vulnerable to break down and ulcers. Charcot foot is a high risk foot problem and you need to be super vigilant ongoing for any changes you notice and seek help asap.

This information is from the Diabetes UK site about Charcot foot

I hope things settle down for you and that you have been diagnosed in good time before things get permanently damaged. Best wishes.
Oh my goodness, it is the first time I have seen your story, what a horrific experience you had and continue to have to cope with every day.
And yet you sound so positive and strive to help everybody else on the forum.
There's not really an emoji that says the right thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back