Charcot Foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan Davies

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
I have been suffering with Charcot foot for 7 months. I was wondering if anyone can give me any advice moving forward.

Welcome @Alan Davies and sorry to hear about your Charcot foot. @Flower is one member who has experience of that. What specific advice would you like? Ask anything you want here.

Hi @Alan Davies I'm currently suffering from charcot since August 23 which occurs due to partial amputation to right foot and being non weight bearing has taken its toll with the not knowing when I can walk and get back to some sort of reality and at every weekly appointment praying my foot temperatures get level which I can see signs of this happening.

Anything in particular you are wondering just ask away.

Hello @Alan Davies and welcome, glad you've found us

I'm sorry you're dealing with Charcot foot, it is a horrible long term complication. I hope you're getting good care for your foot.

Has your foot changed shape? Are you in a cast or walker boot, using crutches? If the Charcot foot was diagnosed early enough then hopefully the foot can maintain a normal shape. If the bones and joints collapse then there are options such as surgery to try and get a better shaped foot to limit future problems. A Charcot foot is at very high risk ongoing as pressure through the damaged areas puts it at high risk of ulceration & infection.

You should be referred to orthotics at some point to get custom made insoles and/or shoes for your foot that protect the vulnerable areas. You have to be extra vigilant for any small wounds/blisters that can quickly become ulcers. I hope you have access to a high risk podiatry clinic for continued checks and advice. Sadly podiatry seems to have been hit badly since Covid, in my area I am told to go private despite being high risk in a cast on crutches.

Moving forward remain vigilant, check every day and used a good foot cream on vulnerable areas. Exercise wise, it will depend on the damage done and whether you can weight bear. Other activities such as swimming are good without weight bearing. Ask at your foot clinic for advice on what you can do.

Unfortunately Charcot foot can stop you in your tracks until things start to settle and even then you need to be so careful about not causing further injury. Charcot can flare up again sometimes. It isn't all negative, but it is a real challenge. I try to be philosophical about it- I fail miserably somedays!- and work with the limitations. I've lived with Charcot foot for 26 years now, a lot of that time one or both of my legs have been in casts due to new fractures - I've been told I'm unlucky in that respect but manage to hobble on crutches, swim when I can and run the house somehow.

These are a few of the previous threads on Charcot foot

If you click on the search box at the top Right of this page & type Charcot foot it will bring up all the previous posts.

Please ask any questions. There are a few of us around dealing with this. Best Wishes

Thank you Inka and Dale, I’m so grateful for you coming back to me. Yes I developed Charcot in the right foot unfortunately I was misdiagnosed by 5 GPs so my foot has become pretty deformed. I had it cast and have had to hop around on my left foot, yes you guessed it I’ve developed Charcot in my left foot now so wearing a vacopedes boot on that foot. My foot surgeon as said he may have to do reconstruction surgery on the right foot. I loved walking before this all turned my world upside down. Just really wanted to know when it’s all finally settled will I be able to return to recreational walking or will I be restricted and will I struggle with walking. Thanks for listening to me any advise will be very much appreciated.

Thank you Inka and Dale, I’m so grateful for you coming back to me. Yes I developed Charcot in the right foot unfortunately I was misdiagnosed by 5 GPs so my foot has become pretty deformed. I had it cast and have had to hop around on my left foot, yes you guessed it I’ve developed Charcot in my left foot now so wearing a vacopedes boot on that foot. My foot surgeon as said he may have to do reconstruction surgery on the right foot. I loved walking before this all turned my world upside down. Just really wanted to know when it’s all finally settled will I be able to return to recreational walking or will I be restricted and will I struggle with walking. Thanks for listening to me any advise will be very much appreciated

Thank you so much Flower your words and advice is worth a fortune. There isn’t really anybody to talk to in Stoke on Trent I feel quite isolated. I hope I can keep in touch with you all.

Oh my that is so sad to hear how it's affected both feet for you @Alan Davies I must of been lucky I got seen by 2 podiatrist who sad nothing was wrong with my foot even though it was swollen and hot but then I got seen by a podiatrist who I got along with who took pictures and the head podiatrist quickly rush me in to offload my foot and put me in a cast.

When looking into it many people misdiagnosed or do not understand charcot and have seen photos and heard stories about different treatment and lengths.

Hi @Alan Davies

You are right that Charcot foot is an isolating complication & lonely to deal with, it really helps to be able to talk about it. It impacts on your life a lot and for me it gives me uncertainty & fear about the future. I hope you can get some advice on what to hope for going forward from reconstruction surgery etc. Please keep in touch on the forum whenever you want to.

Raising awareness of Charcot foot as a potential complication is vital. Most of the cases I’ve read have been from late or misdiagnosis which leads to worse outcomes. Charcot should be flagged up as a potential diagnosis when anyone with diabetes presents with a hot red swollen foot that isn’t necessarily explained by injury. There also needs to be wider education about it from gp foot checks so we are aware it can happen and it’s not hidden under a general ‘foot problems’ umbrella.

Diabetes UK Balance magazine had an article on Charcot foot a few months back and interviewed me for my story.

E7AF83D4-D57B-4E78-B589-0AA54856C7E4.jpeg

Hi Flower Just something which is concerning me, sure you can help. As I have said I have Charcot in both feet, cast on one leg and air boot on the other one. They are talking about surgery on one foot, how will I get around hopping on the other foot in the boot. Due to a balance issue I needed to use a frame and not crutches but I was still hopping on my other foot which I guess caused my Charcot. Any help or advise would be much appreciated.

Hi @Flower Just something which is concerning me, sure you can help. As I have said I have Charcot in both feet, cast on one leg and air boot on the other one. They are talking about surgery on one foot, how will I get around hopping on the other foot in the boot. Due to a balance issue I needed to use a frame and not crutches but I was still hopping on my other foot which I guess caused my Charcot. Any help or advise would be much appreciated.

Hi @Alan Davies

I’ve been through periods of time like you with both legs in casts/air boot, it is incredibly frustrating, worrying & challenging. When I was unable to weight bear on either leg I had to use a wheelchair for a time to give my leg time to heal from surgery. I started to use a frame as soon as I could weight bear through one foot then progressed to crutches.

The physios will advise you on what amount of weight bearing you can or can’t do & what you can use to protect your feet & feel safe. It is a difficult time with both legs incapacitated together but I held on to the hope one was mending from surgery & I needed to do what was necessary to get through it.

Have you got a date for surgery as yet? Wishing you well .

Hi @Flower Thank you for your advise. Not got any date as yet. I'm sure I will be back for further advice as the months roll on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back