Changing sensor and callibrating

Status
Not open for further replies.

SB2015

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Having had a few sensors fail in the last month (after a relatively smooth ride for a long time) I checked with Medtronic. They suggested not putting a sensor in when levels are changing rapidly. Up until now I have charged my transmitter over breakfast and then inserted sensor and transmitter after breakfast on a Sunday. We always have a different breakfast each day on the weekend and it does cause a bit more of a spike for me So perhaps not the ideal time but it works otherwise for me.

My OH has just asked me what others in the forum do. So here I am
any tips on changeovers of sensor and associated callibrations.

Having had a few sensors fail in the last month (after a relatively smooth ride for a long time) I checked with Medtronic. They suggested not putting a sensor in when levels are changing rapidly. Up until now I have charged my transmitter over breakfast and then inserted sensor and transmitter after breakfast on a Sunday. We always have a different breakfast each day on the weekend and it does cause a bit more of a spike for me So perhaps not the ideal time but it works otherwise for me.

My OH has just asked me what others in the forum do. So here I am
any tips on changeovers of sensor and associated callibrations.
Hello, would that be any type of sensor or Medatronic related experience?

As far as I know all sensors require at least one callibration so interested in people’s strategies are.

We have Dexcom G6, to be honest we just bung it in, wait out the 2 hour warm up and then off we go. Have been advised never to calibrate unless it goes very far out and stays there, and so far have never needed to calibrate it. Perhaps we are just lucky! It’s fallen that they expire in the evening so daughter just puts the replacement in straight away.

We have Dexcom G6, to be honest we just bung it in, wait out the 2 hour warm up and then off we go. Have been advised never to calibrate unless it goes very far out and stays there, and so far have never needed to calibrate it. Perhaps we are just lucky! It’s fallen that they expire in the evening so daughter just puts the replacement in straight away.
That has been my experience so far, and I am likely to stick with it. It has worked for 2 years. I think I just have a batch of duff sensors.

As far as I know all sensors require at least one callibration so interested in people’s strategies are.
Thanks, I wouldn’t mess with calibrating with my Libre (third party app.) if my BG is in a state where the arrow is nothing else but level. But I would be checking against the meter. After I see it settle, that’s when I would check again. If a correction dose is needed? That’s done again by my meter, but usually as things settle both readings are not far off for me. Even the Libre app isn’t realy that far out. (Only by 0.2.)
I’ve just been doing just that now after a correction dose on a rise. I’ve levelled out. Both apps & my meter are agreeing on my BG level. (Within a slight 0.2 either way.)

Same here with the libre really. Can’t remember any major calibration for the last 4 sensors.
I’d never try to fix the wheels on a moving bike. 😉

I only calibrate my Dexcom G7 when it’s a fair bit out, which is hardly ever. The warm-up time is 30 mins but I just insert my new sensor 30 mins before ending the old one and then I have no gap at all. The G7 has a 12hr grace period, which is very helpful, so I change it when convenient. I prefer to change it earlier in the day rather than in the evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back