Changing Needles Daily

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merryterry

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have been in the habit of not changing my Insulin needles very often. My Nurse gave me a telling off and said I should change them for every injection. Recently I was rushed into Hospital A&E for an Extremely High Blood Pressure and did not have my Insulin with me so they gave me my Novarapid in a pre-loaded type pen with a needle that cannot be changed.

Strange?

That is odd!

I was terrible for reusing needles - I really should have done better!

My understanding is that reused needles can damage your injection sites, and increase the risks of lipodystrophy or lipohypertrophy developing.

This subject has been discussed many times with differing views. I use one needle per day for typically 7 injections and have no problems. Yes a slightly blunt needle might increase the risk of lypo stuff but I believe that is mainly caused by the insulin itself and not the needle.

I reuse needles a couple of times per needle, so long as it doesn’t hurt. Not more than about 2-3 as then I feel it doesn’t go in as smoothly.

There aren’t any insulin pens that have unchangeable needles attached. Are you sure it wasn’t a syringe? Or a needle screwed on tightly? Have you got a picture of it or what does it say on it.

I have been in the habit of not changing my Insulin needles very often. My Nurse gave me a telling off and said I should change them for every injection. Recently I was rushed into Hospital A&E for an Extremely High Blood Pressure and did not have my Insulin with me so they gave me my Novarapid in a pre-loaded type pen with a needle that cannot be changed.

Strange?

Sure you can't change needle on preloaded pen, years since used disposable pens but you could change them when I did.

Use to be awful for reusing needles then sites started to take a hammering, consultant said that reusing needles damages injection sites as needle points are so fine they become blunt after couple of times, so after that made point of changing needle at least once daily.

The Novo Flexpen will accept two types of needle. The usual threaded variety but also their own NovoTwist bayonet type, that simply pushes on & then twists. Maybe this pen had the latter?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back