Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacen017

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
He/Him
Hi Guys,

I mentioned in a previous post that my team suspects I may be allergic to something my insulins are suspended in.

They have decided to switch my bolus from Novorapid to Humalog to see if that makes any difference before changing my basal to check that.

I just wondered if anyone knew if there was anything different about Humalog that I should be aware of before I change?

It tended to last a lot longer for me. Also had a bit of a kick in it’s tail after about 4 hours. I then went onto Apidra which tends to be over and done with in 3.5 hours.

I tried Humalog for a couple of weeks (it was a trial, hence, the short duration).
I found my dose was the same as for NovoRapid but, for me, it was even slower acting and I stopped the trial.
As has been said many times, we are all different and I know many are happy with Humalog.
So, anything you need to know? Not that I know of. Try it out. If you have a Libre, be slightly more vigilant on your levels at first.
Fingers crossed it suits you better than NovoRapid.

Not sure what difference there is, know when switching from animal insulin to human some people had problems so had to revert back, so allergy can happen like all meds.

I tried Humalog for a couple of weeks (it was a trial, hence, the short duration).
I found my dose was the same as for NovoRapid but, for me, it was even slower acting and I stopped the trial.
As has been said many times, we are all different and I know many are happy with Humalog.
So, anything you need to know? Not that I know of. Try it out. If you have a Libre, be slightly more vigilant on your levels at first.
Fingers crossed it suits you better than NovoRapid.
I'm fairly certain the problem is the Toujeo but they seem really reluctant to change my basal.

I'm fine through most of the night and upon waking but about an hour or two after injecting the Toujeo my skin all over my body becomes hypersensitive and I get what I can only describe as goosebumps everywhere - even very small ones on my face.

The feeling of my clothes touching me becomes unbearable when I move and they brush against it. The sensation is always more pronounced in the areas that I've injected in.

My DSN asked me to show a pharmacist and the think that I'm having a reaction to whatever the insulin is suspended in to make it long acting.

I use Humalog and like it @Jacen017 For me, it’s fiercer than Novorapid, so maybe shorten your pre-bolus time or at least watch out for going low.

Why are your team so focussed on the Toujeo and not changing it? It’s not a very common basal so it’s not as though everyone uses it. If you want to change your basal, be firm and push.

I use Humalog and like it @Jacen017 For me, it’s fiercer than Novorapid, so maybe shorten your pre-bolus time or at least watch out for going low.

Why are your team so focussed on the Toujeo and not changing it? It’s not a very common basal so it’s not as though everyone uses it. If you want to change your basal, be firm and push.
I get the feeling it's because they are obsessing over my 99% time in range and think that if they change my basal it's going to mess everything up?:confused:

I'll switch to the Humalog and give it a week or two before I get very firm about the Toujeo. Unless the feelings get worse of course.

I get the feeling it's because they are obsessing over my 99% time in range and think that if they change my basal it's going to mess everything up?:confused:

I'll switch to the Humalog and give it a week or two before I get very firm about the Toujeo. Unless the feelings get worse of course.

Yes, because it would be a total disaster if your TIR fell to 92% or something 🙄 They think your treatment is ‘working’ and that’s all they care about, but if it’s not working for you then say so. You need insulins that work for you as an individual. The TIR is far from the only measure of that.

I made the switch from Novorapid to Humalog and for me the Humalog has a slightly faster onset and peak, but are very similar. The transition was pretty seemless. When I switched my basal from Lantus to Levemir it took a while for me to regain reasonable control.

If the skin reaction comes on only after the basal jab, that would be my prime suspect.

Good luck, I hope you get some relief

pokes this thread
@Jacen017 did you get any improvements with the switch?

pokes this thread
@Jacen017 did you get any improvements with the switch?
Not with the skin sensitivity but much better control since I've moved to Humalog and Tresiba🙂

yay for control but boo for the sensitivity :(
did you try different needles? cant remember what else was suggested on zoom 😉 x

yay for control but boo for the sensitivity :(
did you try different needles? cant remember what else was suggested on zoom 😉 x
I didn't because it's not a localised sensation. It's all over :(

honestly mate, I so feel for ya. Any other suggestions to try?

I'm pretty sure it's a reaction to whatever the basal is suspended in. I asked about just using the bolus to check but they said it was a bad idea

I'm pretty sure it's a reaction to whatever the basal is suspended in. I asked about just using the bolus to check but they said it was a bad idea
I agree with your team, keep taking your basal.

Ask to try other basal options.

It’s probably still worth trying different needles just in case, but also trying different basals. There’s plenty out there and one will hopefully do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back