Changing Insulin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizzydi

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Been and seen my consultant today. He is changing my insulin to Levemir (think that is how you spell it).

Something I learned today that I did not know is that when you take insultard which is what I have been on - it peaks in the early hours of the morning and causes hypo and you are supposed to have a snack before bed!!

I'm astounded I did not know this - I really cannot remeber if I was told this when I was started on it.

So for now the Levemir and then I am being seen again in 4 weeks and also may have to go onto another insulin at meal times!! (This is all dependent on if I get a positive pregnancy result in 17 days time!!)

Hi Di cant believe you did not know that about the previous insulin you were on that might help explains things huh, hope the levemir works for you hun xx

The good thing about Levemir is that is has virtually no peak and you can change the dose and observe the results the next day as opposed to Lantus which you need to wait about three days to notice affect.......

I am on Humulin I as it has a peak which I need to bring down my rising morning sugars............

Levemir works very well for me, with novorapid to go with meals.

Hope all goes well with the pregnacy result.

X

Hi Di

I am on a split dose of levemir (10 at night and 16 in the morning) and humalog before meals. Will you just be on one dose of levemir or 2?

Hi Di

I am on a split dose of levemir (10 at night and 16 in the morning) and humalog before meals. Will you just be on one dose of levemir or 2?

Hi Rachel,
Just one to start with to see how it goes and then they were talking about splitting it at some point. Go back in 4 weeks unless I need to be seen sooner x

I'm not a big fan of the imtermediate insulins because of this peak effect, even though it is what NICE recommends when starting insulin in type 2's.

Levemir is pretty peakless in most people, you'll have to see if it lasts 24 hours in you, if not might need to split it into 2 doses.

Good luck with the change over

i am on one dose of levemir a night and have been for 5 years and it works very well for me. like everyone says - no peaks at stupid o'clock 🙂
good luck with the pregnancy
xxx

Been and seen my consultant today. He is changing my insulin to Levemir (think that is how you spell it).

Something I learned today that I did not know is that when you take insultard which is what I have been on - it peaks in the early hours of the morning and causes hypo and you are supposed to have a snack before bed!!

I'm astounded I did not know this - I really cannot remeber if I was told this when I was started on it.

So for now the Levemir and then I am being seen again in 4 weeks and also may have to go onto another insulin at meal times!! (This is all dependent on if I get a positive pregnancy result in 17 days time!!)

Hi I didn't know that. I,m on Insulatard, have been for a few years now. I wasn't told this, not pleased! Good luck with pregnancy test though. Sheena

Hi I didn't know that. I,m on Insulatard, have been for a few years now. I wasn't told this, not pleased! Good luck with pregnancy test though. Sheena

Hi sheen. I was amazed at the lack of info. How many units are you on ? Do you hypo much ? I was starting to hypo on a regular basis around 1.30 am. I also had hypo at any other time during the day - lots of them these last 6 weeks. I started on insulted in Jan this year x

Re Insulatard - one of the reasons that you are advised to have a bedtime snack with insulatard is the peak. It actually mentions the peak in the PIL but then for many they are very technical - and you would imagine that your Dr/DSN would explain these things.

Dizzydi - hope you get some good news - and those hypos come under control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back