changing from Byetta to victoza

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonrudd

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,

long time no post 🙂 recently i had to go and see my diabetic nurse after my H1bca showed my blood sugar had risen from 8 -> 9 (or 9 -> 10 i cant remember ) also my weight had gone up by a stone. I've been on byetta for a year and its helped but now she has changed me to Victoza. I'm just a bit worried about changing over, whenever i've forgotten to take byetta i've felt like death warmed up. My initial dosage on victoza is 0.6 going up to 1.2 after 1 week and surprise surprise this happens over xmas.

has anyone else gone from Byetta to Victoza??

thanks

Steff did I think. No doubt she'll be along soon but I seem to recall the change was a positive one for her.

thank you for the reply 🙂

Victoza should make life a lot easier for you. You only inject once a day (I do it it at 5pm) and if you forget just do it as soon as. I don't have problems with it, tummy wise. Good luck.

bayetta to victoza

I am so sorry, but I don't have any experience with either of these medications, but being put onto Bayetta soon.
I just wondered how you got on with car insurance with this medication, that is if you drive. Im a bit concerned about going onto the drug, and I was also told that Bayetta had an appetite suppressant in it? I just get so confused as I am told so many different things depending on who Im speaking to at the time.:confused:
Any advice is more than welcome from others who have had the experiences.

Yes, Byetta does work as an appetite suppresant, as does Victoza. But, as far as I know, neither one should affect your insurance as they don't seem to increase the risk of hypos.

Yes, Byetta does work as an appetite suppresant, as does Victoza. But, as far as I know, neither one should affect your insurance as they don't seem to increase the risk of hypos.
Hi Alison,
Thanks for this....... the diabetic nurse tells me to inform the DVLA and my insurance as there is a high risk to hypos? This is why I thought I should get input from people who actually take the drug and experience the side effects.

Really? No-one told me that when I was prescribed it, though I did get the warning when they had me on Gliclazide as well as Byetta. I haven't had much bother with hypos since I got taken off the G.

Thanks Alison

Simon I did change from b to v il pm you at some point today as I'm busy till after tea.

Nursie is talking through her hat.

See

http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/medical/... or by non-insulin injectable medication.aspx

DVLA clearly says you do NOT have to tell them if taking a non-insulin injectable drug as long as you are under regular medical review and can still meet all the normal diabetes driving requirements re hypos, eyesight and everything else.

You DO have to tell them if on a sulphonurea, such as Gliclazide because they are all 'hypogycaemic agents' - in other words, carry a risk of sending you hypo.

Hi Simon,

I have just changed from Byetta to Victoza and find Victoza much easier - no need to take before food - just once a day - I take mine about 6 ish. For the first 3 days I get a bit of a headache - but after that it has been good.
It definitely suppressed my appetite - but no nausea like I had with Byetta.

You do not have to tell the DVLA you are taking it.

Hi everyone - thanks for the replies 🙂

sorry pamelaburns i cant drive so i've no idea about insurance, as for hypos - i've had a couple but i do take a lot of gliclazide too which can happen when you mix byetta and glic. I've never experienced the appetite suppressant people mentioned i think its just a side effect i have never had.

thank you lucy123 and Vicsetter :D with a bit of luck i'll be okay - bit worried about bad bellies especially over xmas / in-laws house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back