Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jojoann

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone. I’m using a sensor after a go suggested I take the free trial. It’s amazing! I can’t afford it though, the free trial will have to do ( I’m type 2). My predicted hb1c is 45 (6.3). My average glucose 7.3 and 90per cent of the time. I’ve worked so hard for the last 9 months to reduce my sugars. I have dropped 2 tablets as suggested but this has shown in my daily results. I don’t feel I can change my diet much more and keto is not recommended as I take a tablet which needs carbs and I had a bad diabetic incident due to low sugar.. very high sugars in the morning but drop considerably during the day. Any advice about keeping in range or new medication?

Maybe speak to your GP about the medication which requires that you eat carbs - get clarification on why you are taking it.
For many ordinary type 2's simply eating a low carb diet is the key to normal numbers.
As I don't take any medication for diabetes I can eat zero carbs if that is what I feel like that day. Not that I do so all that often but if I forget it is Sunday and all I have is meat or fish or eggs - no problem.
Working only with my HbA1c result of 43 my average glucose is around 7mmol/l so your possibly more accurate one is only slightly higher, but I have no constraints on what I eat.

Maybe speak to your GP about the medication which requires that you eat carbs - get clarification on why you are taking it.
For many ordinary type 2's simply eating a low carb diet is the key to normal numbers.
As I don't take any medication for diabetes I can eat zero carbs if that is what I feel like that day. Not that I do so all that often but if I forget it is Sunday and all I have is meat or fish or eggs - no problem.
Working only with my HbA1c result of 43 my average glucose is around 7mmol/l so your possibly more accurate one is only slightly higher, but I have no constraints on what I eat.
Thankyou for your comments. I take jardinace which apparently makes one urinate some sugar. I saw a g p a few weeks back who didn’t want to change any drugs as I tolerate my current ones well. I am on a half dose of glicazide now though. No idea how low I’m supposed to go! Think I do need to speak to someone 🙂

Thankyou for your comments. I take jardinace which apparently makes one urinate some sugar. I saw a g p a few weeks back who didn’t want to change any drugs as I tolerate my current ones well. I am on a half dose of glicazide now though. No idea how low I’m supposed to go! Think I do need to speak to someone 🙂
Those medications act in different ways, the jardinace encourages the kidneys to excrete excess glucose via urine so it is important to drink plenty as you can become dehydrated but the gliclazide induces the pancreas to produce more insulin to deal with the carbs you are eating so if you are taking that then it needs some carbs otherwise there is a risk of low blood glucose.
It is not recommended to go as far as a Keto diet (less than 30g carbs a day ) but low carb is usually OK, but as you should have a monitor then you can keep an eye on what you need to have to avoid that.
There seems no point in taking medication which means you have to eat carbs when a low carb approach cam be very successful for many people without the need for mediation.
Some people can be higher in the morning due to the Foot on the Floor syndrome when the liver releases glucose to give energy for the day in the absence of food, when you say high, how high do you mean.

It is not recommended to go as far as a Keto diet (less than 30g carbs a day ) but low carb is usually OK, but as you should have a monitor then you can keep an eye on what you need to have to avoid that.
Low carb is not advised on jardiance due to the risk of DKA with normal bgs. It gave me DKA without even low carbing, and low carb is specifically advised against on the patient information leaflet

Low carb is not advised on jardiance due to the risk of DKA with normal bgs. It gave me DKA without even low carbing, and low carb is specifically advised against on the patient information leaflet
Surely It entirely depends on what you mean by low carb. You never see what they mean in terms of carbs just that it is OK under supervision.
Does it mention it anywhere what people shouldn't have less than. Surely if people keep a good eye on their monitor they can judge what is right for them.

Surely It entirely depends on what you mean by low carb. You never see what they mean in terms of carbs just that it is OK under supervision.
Does it mention it anywhere what people shouldn't have less than. Surely if people keep a good eye on their monitor they can judge what is right for them.
Definitely not any level of carb reduction that would give ketones, your suggestion of not cutting below 30g is still dangerous since most people would have a lot of ketones at above 30g even.

Definitely not any level of carb reduction that would give ketones, your suggestion of not cutting below 30g is still dangerous since most people would have a lot of ketones at above 30g even.
I wasn't suggesting any particular amount and absolutely not Keto but an amount that people would be safe with, but they should be guided on that by their Diabetic nurse and their monitor.

Actually found something which suggests a moderate carb regime of 130-225g carbs per day and if people want to go lower it should be in consultation with a dietician if on the 'flozin' medications.

Actually found something which suggests a moderate carb regime of 130-225g carbs per day and if people want to go lower it should be in consultation with a dietician if on the 'flozin' medications.
Thankyou . I have a carb counter on my phone and keep my intake between 100 and 130g . I did ask my nurse what an appropriate amount was and she said she didn’t like to say. However, the g p said 130g or below was recommended. I include milk in my count too so usually it’s 100g spread over 3 meals and any excess on milk for my tea or coffee . I think I will discuss the ‘flozin’ dose with my nurse. Many thanks

Those medications act in different ways, the jardinace encourages the kidneys to excrete excess glucose via urine so it is important to drink plenty as you can become dehydrated but the gliclazide induces the pancreas to produce more insulin to deal with the carbs you are eating so if you are taking that then it needs some carbs otherwise there is a risk of low blood glucose.
There seems no point in taking medication which means you have to eat carbs when a low carb approach cam be very successful for many people without the need for mediation.
Some people can be higher in the morning due to the Foot on the Floor syndrome when the liver releases glucose to give energy for the day in the absence of food, when you say high, how high do you mean.
Hi , by high I mean anywhere from 8 to 13! I have breakfast and my tablets and it reduces to 7 or below quite quickly.

Thankyou . I have a carb counter on my phone and keep my intake between 100 and 130g . I did ask my nurse what an appropriate amount was and she said she didn’t like to say. However, the g p said 130g or below was recommended. I include milk in my count too so usually it’s 100g spread over 3 meals and any excess on milk for my tea or coffee . I think I will discuss the ‘flozin’ dose with my nurse. Many thanks
The carb should include everything you eat and drink including the milk in drinks. Many find that they can hit the hot spot for what carbs suit them as an individual is but strategic testing before and 2 hours after meals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back