changed insulin advice needed type 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

s.e london

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
hi back after a break.was on nova mix 30/70 but levels bit erratic leading to frequent hypos.have changed to once a day to ..abasaglar pen injection , insulin glargine sc use. my question is i am taking the insulin at 10pm once a day only .in the few days that i have made the switch from nova mix twice a day can now travel without fear of hypo . my dosage is 18 units once a day administerd at 10pm
but my levels are a touch high 8 in the morning rising to 15 after lunch then down to 10 before bed.i will increase the units by 2 until i reach my target. my fear is because i inject an hour or so before bed can i have a hypo while sleeping or is my fear unfounded. i have no intention to exceed 24 units any advice . i would like to master this once a day insulin since it has improved my life style no end.the dosage was based on my weight and height 5ft 8 11stone 10 .

Novomix is a combination of fast and slow acting insulin (I believe that is what the "30/70" indicates).
Abasaglar/glargine is only slow acting insulin.
This chart shows the profile of a number of insulins including Glargine (4th chart) and NovoMix (bottom chart).
The purpose of the slow acting insulin is to maintain your levels in the absence of food as it has a flattish profile. Taking more is likely to cause you to go too low earlier in the day rather than addressing the lows later.
You may find you also need a fast acting insulin to take with food.

HELLI, VERY MUCH OBLIGED YOUR EARLY REPLY . THE CHART WAS A REAL EYE OPENER. YOUR COMMENTS AND THE CHART WILL BE INWARDLY DIGESTED .

HELLI, VERY MUCH OBLIGED YOUR EARLY REPLY . THE CHART WAS A REAL EYE OPENER. YOUR COMMENTS AND THE CHART WILL BE INWARDLY DIGESTED .

There are a few other Type 3c folk on here diagnosed for various reasons and the insulin regimes they are on can be very different often depending on the reason for their 3c diagnosis.
If you would like to share a bit more about your diagnosis then they may be able to offer some tailored suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
]There are a few other Type 3c folk on here diagnosed for various reasons and the insulin regimes they are on can be very different often depending on the reason for their 3c diagnosis.
If you would like to share a bit more about your diagnosis then they may be able to offer some tailored suggestions.

Good to hear that the change of insulin has improved your quality of life, but it does sound like it isn’t quite able to cope with both your background needs and also your meals.

It might be worth asking about a mealtime insulin (even if you don’t need all that much of it!) to help even out your levels after lunch.

That way you can set your Absalgar just to cover your background needs?

every day ups and downs.
your first paragraph replicates my thoughts,your second is valuable info which i will take on board,i have an appointment with the diabetes team on friday the 13th.where upon I will suggest the meal time insulin. I have a few days to see what my levels are morning , noon and night before the assessment on friday .if I may add, that ,since the switch I no longer threat on having a hypo I have travelled to lingfield races today and can divorce myself from that thinking. never the less
the levels still are a touch high, but your meal time suggestion could well be a winner.

@s.e london if your meal time insulin doses are likely to be low, I encourage you to request a half unit pen.
Reusable half unit pens are definitely available for NovoNordisk insulins such as NovoRapid and Fiasp.
I have always preferred the reusable pens (single use are also available and often prescribed) but you will need a spare backup pen if you go down that route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back