Change4Life now this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freddie99

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Dear all,

I would be much obliged if you were to take the time and read the article which the link will lead to:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3752597.stm

I have made a complaint as I find the inaccuracies plain offensive. I would like for the rest of the people who use these boards to raise objection to this wildly incorrect article.

The part relating to diabetes is near the bottom so please bear with the article.

Yours disgusted,

Tom Hreben

looks OK now (Sun 18 Jan 09 0830)

Looks like they may have already modified the statement, which now reads:

"Doctors at the hospital also reported many young patients had abnormally high insulin levels, an indicator for Type 2 diabetes, which is related to obesity."

(True enough, as about 60% of people diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes are overweight at the time; that's a majority, although a significant minority, 40, are normal weight ot underweight. The earlier paragraphs make it obvious that "younger patients" means those treated by paediatrians ie children)

Dear Tom,

Looks OK to me. Is this the sentence? "Doctors at the hospital also reported many young patients had abnormally high insulin levels, an indicator for Type 2 diabetes, which is related to obesity."

Regards Dodger

Hi Tom,

The article is nearly 5 years old (Last Updated: Thursday, 27 May, 2004, 12:22 GMT). Whilst it may reinforce the stereotype of obese=Type 2, I don't think we can expect organizations to retrospectively alter all documents to reflect current thinking and attitudes, just those that are 'current' as in the Change4Life campaign.

Northerner,

Thanks for pointing that out. Might want to check the dates on things a bit more often...

Tom H

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back