Change of Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isy2607

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I am new to this forum. I am a type 1 and have been for over 30 years and I am currently looking to change to a different pump, I have had an Accucheck Insight for 10 years but am now looking at moving to a different brand. The Medtronic 780g is appealing to me with its auto correction facilities and bolus calculation. What are peoples views on this pump? Thanks.

Sorry, I have no experience of Medtronic pumps so cannot answer your question.

My advice would be to talk to your diabetes team to find out what they offer.
Some CCGs have a wide choice but mine gives the option of one pump or injections.
It can be disappointing when you set your heart on something only to be told it is not available.

Regarding the Medtronic 780g, obviously, it requires the CGM for the auto corrections so, if this pump is an option for your CCG, you will need to find out if they will fund the CGM or whether you will need to self fund.

There are lots of pumps on the market, and it's exciting when you get to change. I currently use the 670g and it has been great in automode. The only downside is if you can't get funded sensors you would have to purchase them yourself to get the full use of the 780G.

I would speak to your team and see what pumps they are offering out. If they mention 780g ask them about the sensors, and if you could get them funded.

As others have said, each area tends to offer different pumps. I have recently started using the 780G and I have to self fund the sensors. I am currently using it in manual mode, which is very similar to any other pump, with the different Bolus options, TBRs, ... I was on an Accu Chek Combo before.
The things I have noticed so far
Positives
There is the option of a slower Bolus delivery.
I find this great as my cannula sites are a lot happier than before.
I now never get bubbles developing in the tubing.
A different valve at the lock on the pump means that it doesn’t matter what orientation you have your pump
If I forget to do the final step for a Bolus it alarms and tells me. This has stopped that sudden unexplained rise after a meal.
There should be more once I start to use the sensors, after my next training tomorrow.

Negative
The only negative I have is that I have to access the pump whenever I want to do a Bolus. I really liked the Bluetooth connection on the Accu Check pumps which meant you could tuck it away at the start of the day and never need access all day, all I needed was the handset.

I do miss the Bluetooth connectivity, but happy to keep going on to the next stage, when I will start to see the benefits of the autocorrections and reductions in background insulin. Keep a watch and I will post as things progress. If you do a search on the forum there are a couple of others wh are now using this pump.

Welcome to the forum @Isy2607

We have had a few MM780 starters recently, so browse around in the pump section for their experiences.

I opted for the Tandem tslim with self funded Dexcom G6, which I am very pleased with (though the self-funding is a bit steep!)

We have other members using the Dana too - which integrates with open source looping / APS algorithms.

There are so many options these days! Including various patch and tubeless pumps (though fewer of these offer sensor integration)

I agree with @helli though, it’s well worth finding out which options are available before you get set on a pump that your clinic won’t offer.

Good luck with your choice!

I am new to this forum. I am a type 1 and have been for over 30 years and I am currently looking to change to a different pump, I have had an Accucheck Insight for 10 years but am now looking at moving to a different brand. The Medtronic 780g is appealing to me with its auto correction facilities and bolus calculation. What are peoples views on this pump? Thanks.
Can't help you regarding the pump, just making sure that you know you will have to fund the sensors so hope you have a deep pocket.

Major prob I have with other tubed pumps is them not having a remote control so having to fish El Pumpo out every time to bolus or correct. My lot have stopped anyone having another Insight (cos lots of other people had major problems with it - I didn't once they replaced the original handset that killed its rechargeable Lithium battery every week for 7 weeks) I quite fancied the Tslim until their Rep told me to my face that Libres were just rubbish and there wasn't any point having a Tslim unless you also had a Dexcom. We are not on our beam uppers by any means but I'm not prepared to pay for a Dexcom. End of consideration of Tslim.

Can't help you regarding the pump, just making sure that you know you will have to fund the sensors so hope you have a deep pocket.

Not always the case, I have the 780G & also have the guardian 3 funded.

To answer your questions @Isy2607, if your lucky like I am & get the 780G with the guardian 3 sensors or even decide to fund the sensors yourself then you won’t be disappointed.

Automode is absolutely fantastic, for the last 36hrs I’ve been 100% in target range which is set at 3.9-10mmol. Having the pump automatically adjust basal insulin every 5 minutes is a game changer. Especially at night if you go to bed in range you’ll expect to wake up the next morning with a very good reading. In fact I’ve never woke up out of range as of yet. Usually around 5/6mmol. What I would say though is this, when I did my training I was told don’t worry you if miscalculate carbs the pump will automatically give you correction doses. This is true to a point but don’t expect miracles because on a few occasions I have ran into the high teens & automode hasn’t been able to help at all. I really struggle at the gym because I lift heavy weights which spikes my readings & every time I have to enter fake carbs so the pump will give me a bolus because automode can’t handle that sort of raise. If you only miscalculated a couple of units or a small amount of carbs then automode certainly does correct this for you but big mistakes it struggles to deal with.

Another thing I’d say is the sensors are extremely sensitive, fitting them is a bit of a pain until you get used to it but if you want it on the back of the arm you’ll need someone to help taping it up. Your looking at around 2.5hrs for a sensor change over, 30mins to charge the transmitter then 2hrs for sensor warm up. Make sure you fit it somewhere with plenty of fat, back of the arm is a massive no go area for me. The sensor has failed every time I’ve tried there, love handle area works best for me. I do find the guardian 3 very accurate with BG meter readings though which is a massive bonus.

Before I started the 780G my A1C was 83, just over a month on this pump my estimated A1C with carelink is 48.7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back