Change of medication

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claire53

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I've been type 2 for about 3 yrs. I was prescribed metformin 1000mg 1 a day until January this Yr. I wasn't feeling right so booked in for blood test which showed my sugars weren't under control so they doubled my meds to 2000mg. One in the morn and one with my evening meal. Unfortunately they made me feel very sick and go to the toilet frequently. I had to have another check up 3 mths after the change in my dosage but this showed it was still not being controlled enough. Because of how I felt they lowered my metformin to 500mg and gave me a new tablet called empagliflozin 10mg once a day, to be increased to 25mg daily in 2 wks. However I feel like the dose is too low. My original symptoms are back. I get tired just walking upstairs. Any advice please?

As a type two, your diet is far more likely to affect glucose levels than tablets, which can only nudge levels gently.
Are you eating a low carb diet?
I find that my energy levels are far higher than before diagnosis when I was being pushed to eat high carb low fat foods.

The oral medication that are prescribed are merely a helping hand and one of the important things is to reduce the amount of carbohydrates in your diet.
Think of it as an overflowing sink, you can bail the water out (the meds) but unless you turn the tap off (reducing carbs you put in) then the sink will still overflow.
This link may help you make some changes to your dietary regime as it is a low carb approach that many people find successful. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
The empagliflozin works by removing excess glucose but it is recommended that you must drink plenty (3litres per day I think I saw) otherwise you could become dehydrated. The metformin helps the body use the insulin it is producing more effectively and prevents the liver releasing glucose. But both require dietary changes as well to be most effective.
What sort of meals are you having and are you testing your blood glucose at home with a monitor as that will help you know if your meals are too carb heavy for you to tolerate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back