Change in Hypo Signs

Status
Not open for further replies.

allisonb

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
As I'm pregnant (27 weeks) I've been running my blood sugars lower than normal. A typical day is waking at around 5.0, BS between 4 and 5 before food and the same one hour after eating, and between 4 and 6 before bed. This results in a hypo or two each day, usually after food, as well as lots of testing too.

My hypo signs have changed recently and I wondered if anyone else experiences the hypo signs that I currently get. I no longer get the shakes which was one very definite sign, but now seem to get stars in front of my eyes and if I'm really low, what I can only descibe as a numbness in my lips and around my mouth which feels very odd. Does anyone else experience signs like this? Have also noticed it takes much longer to sort a hypo out which normally results in me over compensating resulting in a high!

Allison

I dont get those signs but I remember on my DAFNE course other people talking about numb and tingling lips when hypo. Are you getting the new symptoms at the same sugar level as you previously felt shaky?

One symptom I get when running low is the lack of sensation in my mouth. Thinking about it I wasn't sure if this is I sense I speak faster, or am beginning to loose concentration, but now I'm wondering if indeed my mouth is numb, certainly I recall a numbness in my tongue.

Sure some good people here might have some ideas. Might just be worth a quick call to your DSN, if you're not due to see your diabetic consultant for a while your DSN might be able to offer some general assistance.

Take it steady!

Yup! That sounds just like me (apart from the pregnant part!). My control is pretty much as your describe, although I do tend to be higher after eating than you - and quite often my only symptoms are the changes in vision and a slowly dawning feeling of dopiness (oi!). I'd expect to be around 8.5 ninety minutes after eating. Of course, the difficulty is when to test - I'd probably still be on the way up after an hour, depending on what I eat. If you're only 4-5 after an hour, that sounds a little on the low side to me, so maybe you are trying a bit too hard with the insulin to keep things low. But I totally understand why you are trying to do that!

Hello,

I normally catch my hypo's between 3-4 when I sweat and shake, but if I go really low between 1-2 then I do get what you describe.

Tingling all around the outside of my mouth (where your lips meet the skin) and flashing or spots in my vision (I normally see sort of yellow sparley bits if that makes sense)

NiVZ

Glad it's not just me then. These are low hypos, lowest has been 1.3 recently. DSN knows that my signs have changed and helpfully told me off for having too many hypos, in the same breath as telling me I'm doing well to stay in target!

My symptoms have changed recently too although im not pregnant and i was wondering if this was right but now after reading this i feel slightly reassured. My normal signs use to be shaking and feeling weak and only since getting back on track with my diabetes have i noticed the signs of hypos chnage to being strange vision and numbness round my lips and even my tongue, it was happening for a while and i was worried until i noticed the connection, its quite a strange feeling

I would think that it is because you are running your blood sugars so much tighter so that your body isn't responding until you are lower than before. Also repeated hypos can blunt hypo awareness. Usually the advic eis to run blood sugars higher for a couple of weeks and completley avoid hypos to regain symptoms. It's tircky for you as being pregnant you can really afford to do this. I would suggest just keeping up the testing and try to catch lows before they happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back