Change in carb / insulin ratios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy2202

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The past week I’ve been getting awful hypos post meals.

My ratio for the last 8/9 months has been 1:10

Ive just ate a meal hour and half ago which was about 80g carbs (according to the hello fresh meal sheet) but no way was injecting 8 units and experiencing what I have this past week, so I only injected 3 units and so far I’m stable at 6.5.

Perhaps it’s been a combination of my ratio changing and incorrect nutritional information.

I guess a Basel test is in order but I’ve forgot how to do it.

I’m approaching a year into this journey at the end of the month and this week has been the toughest yet.

I’ve got a Docter apps lined up for my mental state because anxiety is getting the better of me.

I think I was sent some links a while ago to support groups. I need to make contact

Very sensible reducing your bolus @Jimmy2202 Yes, prepared meals often have inaccurate carb info but not as much as your dose change would imply. What basal do you take, how much and when?

Very sensible reducing your bolus @Jimmy2202 Yes, prepared meals often have inaccurate carb info but not as much as your dose change would imply. What basal do you take, how much and when?
Hi Inka
I take 14 units of Levemir once a night at about 10pm.

Well done for responding to your change in insulin sensitivity @Jimmy2202

It’s a constant game for me through the year. After the first couple of years of diabetes my doses seemed to more or less settle, but every few weeks or months I find I need to nudge things up a bit, ir down a bit.

Here’s a link to running a basal check

You might find that your beta cells have got a bit of a second wind now that you’ve been supporting them with injected insulin for a while? Sometimes called the ‘honeymoon period’.

Hope your adjusted doses help you dodge those nasty hypos.

Hi Inka
I take 14 units of Levemir once a night at about 10pm.

Ok, so it doesn’t sound like your basal is somehow kicking in to mess with your evening meal bolus. Another thought - could it be the hot weather? I find it plays havoc with my control.

Finally, check all your carb counts, and maybe stick to meals you make yourself where you’re sure of the carbs as that will remove one variable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back