Change for life advert ? GREAT NEWS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admin

Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The Government has been forced to change its latest obesity campaign after parents complained it was fuelling bullying. The Change4Life campaign which uses an animation from the creators of Wallace and Gromit said obesity causes diabetes but did not draw any distinction between type 1 and type 2 forms of the disease.
Diabetes UK Chief Executive Douglas Smallwood comments. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...ign-to-be-changed-due-to-bullying-charge.html

Good news indeed, but as on the other thread on this subject, I agree that it would have been better to be worded that obesity MAY lead to type 2, not leads to.

To RWJ

I totally agree with you and seeing as how the press release says that the government spoke to DUK about this then this would be up to DUK to distinguish, let's see if they can get this right.

I would also like to point out that this was NOT DUK who got this changed. This was the parents of children with type 1 and all the people that helped campaign for this including lots of people on these forums who signed the petition. There was a small core group of mums who bombarded the press, national and local, tv programmes and stations and MPs, sponsors of the change4life campaign, with emails on Sunday night and over the past 5 days. DUK cannot take the credit for this one and we will not allow them to. They are partners for the change4life and should have sorted this out before it was even broadcast. Shame on you DUK. It is a shame that it had to be a group of parents who have enough to do looking after their type 1 children that had to get this changed. Shame on you.

Thanks everyone though. We shall see what the wording it when they change it. Keep a lookout everyone, we need this right.

Although it wasn't DUK who did the work, the statement they realesed (from the independent article) was pretty good.

Hi Sofaraway

Can I ask where you saw the statement released by DUK? Do you mean the Independant paper or somewhere else? Thanks.:confused:

yeah from the article

Douglas Smallwood, Chief Executive of Diabetes UK, said: "Diabetes UK understands that many people still don't realise that there are different types of diabetes. "Type 2 diabetes is strongly linked to lifestyle factors as 80 per cent of people are overweight at the time of diagnosis. However, like Type 1 diabetes, Type 2 diabetes is also a genetic condition and people can still develop Type 2 diabetes despite being a healthy weight.

"Diabetes UK is a partner of Change4Life although not directly involved in the advertising that has been launched across the country over the last few days.

"However, we will be working with the Department of Health in the coming months on Change4Life, and as part of this, we will work to ensure that the campaign correctly distinguishes between the different types where possible."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back