Change cannula at bedtime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SB2015

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have in my mind that I should not do a cannula change just before bed. Understandable as if it goes wrong I am asleep and unlikely to notice the rise.

Last night, I realised that I should have changed that morning, but gave the cannula a prod and all seemed well. We were back late from London and I just went to bed, having tested and corrected (as per bolus adviser which suggested nothing to add) allowing for the walk home from station. I was on 9.6 and have just woken at 10.6 and Libre showing steady above 10 throughout the night.

Would you change a cannula just before bed, and if so do you then test a fixed time after?

I remember being told this, but have found myself having to do it many times. In 8 years I have only once experienced a site going bad after insertion, and that was right at the start before I found the sets and sites that suited me. Don't follow my example, just being completely honest. I do know the risks.
I guess testing after two hours would give you a clue if the set had failed? I don't really know. Perhaps the training should say instead of "don't do it": "here's how to manage if you have to do it"!

It's not recommended for exactly the reason you said, ie in the event of the new cannula being dodgy, you'd be high all night and potentially wake with ketones. In practice we do this all the time, as it's the only time of day when we're not against the clock! I stay up or get up during the night and test his levels.

Thanks Radders and Redkite.

I ended up high all night, but not as high as it would have been if a new cannula had gone wrong. I shall try to avoid the situation (but know it will happen again) and set an alarm for a test an hour later if a change is essential at night.

We too normally change cannulas at mealtimes as you are supposed to, but there have been occasions when changing at bedtime has been unavoidable. In which case we just do it and don't worry too much, I check my daughter every night anyway sometime around midnight-2 am just to make sure she's not having an unexpected hypo, so that would pick up any problems.

Thanks Sally
The test a little after definitely seems to be the answer.

In practice - I'd most likely have done exactly what you did in the same situation SB. The only difference is with me - not having a Libre - I'd just have said Oh sheet in the morning - and done it then before brekky!

I try to avoid it.

Actually, my habit is to make sure that I have something carby just after a set change, or failing that have BG that needs correcting in order to push at least a unit or 2 through the fresh cannula. Partly this allows me to see the insulin being delivered and working within an hour or so, but also (from what I can tell) it develops the 'pocket' in the subcutaneous tissue from the surface area of which the insulin is then absorbed. I can't remember where I heard it, but I think basal on its own struggles to do this and the set may not take as easily.

Of closer at bedtime this would mean a late bolus to watch and wait for. 9-10pm is about as late as I'd leave it ideally.

I try to avoid it.

Actually, my habit is to make sure that I have something carby just after a set change, or failing that have BG that needs correcting in order to push at least a unit or 2 through the fresh cannula. Partly this allows me to see the insulin being delivered and working within an hour or so, but also (from what I can tell) it develops the 'pocket' in the subcutaneous tissue from the surface area of which the insulin is then absorbed. I can't remember where I heard it, but I think basal on its own struggles to do this and the set may not take as easily.

Of closer at bedtime this would mean a late bolus to watch and wait for. 9-10pm is about as late as I'd leave it ideally.
You're so organised!

Ha! Not really. I generally only fill reservoir with approx 3 days' worth, so I get a low reservoir warning as a reminder, but have my low reservoir alert set fairly high so there is generally half a day or so to play with. If the alert happens at eve meal time I would usually have enoug 'spare' to make it until morning if I choose to.

I've read what EDUAD does before now and thought I wish I had that sort of a life where instead of cooking dinner, plating it up, bringing it in from the kitchen, sitting down, testing my BG, calculating my bolus, and bolusing, prior to even THINKING about picking up a knife and fork - I also had time to do a cannula change, which 50% of the time my husband has to do for me anyway as I can't even reach my rear, and I can't do anything else at all while he is. After you've changed and primed, you also have to do all the test palaver, etc.

And laughed !

Still - there's ABSOLUTELY never ANY chance of my burning my mouth on ANY food I eat in my house!

Ha! Not really. I generally only fill reservoir with approx 3 days' worth, so I get a low reservoir warning as a reminder, but have my low reservoir alert set fairly high so there is generally half a day or so to play with. If the alert happens at eve meal time I would usually have enoug 'spare' to make it until morning if I choose to.

That is even more organised!! Simple solutions to pump issues.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back