Cgm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ageez

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hello,
Last week we went to look at pumps for our nearly six year old type 1 son. We really liked the Accu check combo and the Animas, but we are very tempted by the Paradigm Veo, because of the Continuous Glucose Monitoring. We would have to self-fund this and can't really afford it, but we thought we might manage it if we only used them part time. If it were not for the CGM, we probably wouldn't choose this pump, because of the three, it was the least 'user friendly', in our opinion.

Do any of you use this pump? Do you think it is worth scrimping and saving to fund part time CGM? It would be a big sacrifice for us if we did and we are wondering if it is worth it?

Opinions, please!!!

Alison from shootuporputup (and a member here) has been using the Veo for some years with a CGM I think.

I believe Animas have also linked their new pump (Vibe?) with the Dexcom CGM.

Last edited:
I went to an INPUT exhibition in Luton on Saturday, and it would appear that most of the pump manufacturers are looking at being 'CGM ready' in the very near future - they would say that wouldn't they! but INPUT themselves seemed to support that view too. So if you want a certain pump speak to INPUT and see what they think - http://www.input.me.uk/

I understand why you think CGM has great potential to help. I am not yet a pumper so can't add information from self-knowledge other than as a scientist needing data to support decisions. Keep pushing your consultant, children do sometimes get funding I believe.

ISTR that Roche bought somebody the other year, and when you read the blurb, CGMs were in there.

I think if INPUT were endorsing it, it's a lot more than likely to be true.

But it's always a matter of 'how long'.

Why don't you contact INPUT and ask em, ageez? - they don't make money on the back of flogging pumps, their raison d'etre is to GET people pumps.

Alison from shootuporputup (and a member here) has been using the Veo for some years with a CGM I think.

I believe Animas have also linked their new pump (Vibe?) with the Dexcom CGM.

Mike, you know me almost as well as I know myself! Yes, I've been using a Medtronic combined pump and CGM for 5 years now and would rather sacrifice a limb than give it up.

Ageez, the Animas Vibe does indeed have integrated CGM now too.

I tend not to believe rumours about other companies being "nearly ready with CGM" until I see some hard evidence - they were all not far off/working on it/nearly ready for the first 4 and a half years I had my pump before Animas finally brought theirs to market.

Have you tried to get funding for CGM? It is hard to get, but children do seem to get funding more easily than adults. I'm pretty sure www.childrenwithdiabetesuk.org have some members with kids who have funded CGM so it's worth talking to them about how they did it. Plus the lovely Adrienne on here has a daughter with funded CGM.

For me, the pump and CGM has helped me get great control. I find the data it gives me helps me react more quickly to highs and lows, so I spend much more time in range - full details of the benefits I got from it are here http://www.shootuporputup.co.uk/2010/06/what-made-the-difference/

Hi Ageez,
Here in the States, I've been on a slightly different version of the Veo for about 1 1/2 years - the Medtronic Minimed 523 (Revel) - basically a Veo minus auto-suspend feature and only a 3 day sensor run time. I'm also running on the older generation Guardian sensor with advertised 3 day limit (waiting for Enlite release any time now🙄). It's safe to say, I'm on the side that says you'll like the cgm experience. It's possible to have lots of time in target range, and very few lows. I wish they were available to more people.

I opted for my setup as it was the only integrated option available and didn't want to carry a 2nd device. So far, it's worked well for me.

It was certainly love/hate for first few months during learning curve, where I ironed-out timing of (calibrations & sensor restarts), how long to run a sensor and best locations (most comfortable) for wearing.

Good luck if you search for funding.

Thanks for the advice

Hi folks, thanks for the advice. In the end, we decided that we would go with the Accu Check combo. Our son is going to take enough persuasion to have a pump attached to him, so it didn't seem fair to insist that he has something else piercing his skin at the same time. It also didn't stack up for us financially and we didn't think we would have much chance to get funding. His HbA1c was 7.2 when checked last week, so we didn't think we'd be much of a priority for more money. King's didn't even mention the possibility of funding for CGM. The thing that really sold the Accu check was the fact that we already use the Aviva Expert blood glucose monitor, so much easier for us and the T.A. and that we would be able to do it remotely, and not have to faff about with the pump itself too often. I wonder if there are any Accu check users out there who can tell us they love their pump? I would like to hear that we have made the right choice. Mind you, I think it will make a difference to the quality of Joseph's life, regardless of which model we went for! I hate it when he is hungry and refuses to eat, just because he doesn't want an extra jab. Six year old boys shouldn't have to go hungry.:(

I don't use AccuChek, but from your rationale it sounds like you've made a well thought through choice. I think pumps are a bit like cars, they all do basically the same thing with slightly different bells and whistles on them. You can't really pick a bad one, its just a case of finding the one that meets your particular needs, and it sounds like you've done that.

I personally think that you should pick the pump that suits and you feel comfortable with using now...

Guidelines for CGM's isn't even being considered at the moment, and no-one is pushing to start the guideline process started... Due in the main that the costs involved is likely to impinge on pump access.. So for the foreseeable future CGM's on are going to be based on either special case funding or self funding.

And if you need to go down the self funding route, their are several stand alone CGM's that might work out cheaper to fund!

But at the end of the day, you may not require an CGM has you can gain good control just from using the pump...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back