Cgm

Status
Not open for further replies.

amyh_101

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hey all 🙂

i was wondering if anyone has a CGM? i wasnt sure where to put the post so hope here is ok!

I bought one around a month ago, cost a fortune but im really hoping it will help and i can see some good changes already.

Does anyone else have one? if so how is it helping you and has it improved your hba1c? would be interested to see if you managed to get funding for it too.

🙂

Hi Amy

No problem with your post in here but I can move it to general board if you want more people to notice it.🙂

There is at least one other member who has self-funded a CGM but there's very few who get NHS funding for one. It's something that has to be fought for and with special circumstances.

I hope it proves its worth for you.🙂

Rob

Hi there!

Welcome to the forums. Alison, who is a member here and writes about her diabetes at shootuporputup has an NHS funded CGM - there are several posts there about how it has helped. Something about Kangaroos and Armadillos I think 🙂

I'm curious.
How do you go about self funding?
Do the hospital still offer advice on self funding?

Hi there!

Welcome to the forums. Alison, who is a member here and writes about her diabetes at shootuporputup has an NHS funded CGM - there are several posts there about how it has helped. Something about Kangaroos and Armadillos I think 🙂

Hi, I do indeed have an NHS funded CGM after a long battle, and combined with the pump it has helped me to keep my HbA1c below 6% for the last 5 years, compared to around 7.5% before. Full details of the difference it made to me are here http://www.shootuporputup.co.uk/2010/06/what-made-the-difference/ along with the kangaroos and armadillos piece Mike mentions here http://www.shootuporputup.co.uk/2010/06/kangaroo-hba1c/ (this is about the fact that I found it didn't just help me reduce my HbA1c, it helped me keep it hugely stable).

And this is the story behind the funding battle - http://www.shootuporputup.co.uk/2009/07/show-me-the-money/ - there is no easy way to CGM funding, there are no published criteria and decisions are made on a case by case basis. I got my funding 5 years ago, I'm not sure if I'd get it today, given the current climate, but that wouldn't stop me trying if I felt I needed it.

I'm curious.
How do you go about self funding?
Do the hospital still offer advice on self funding?

Hiya,
to self fund cgm all you do is place your order with the company you are buying from.
You pay up front though so be warned. cgm is non prescription.

I was on thr trial for the Animas Vibe, Which meant I had the CGM, makes a world of difference but no way I can afford to self fund it.

Hi Amy,
When I started cgm in dec 2010, I was told new cgm'ers were seeing 1% reduction (old money), personally saw less change (6.5 to 6.0) in A1c, but more benefit from reduced high/low excursions. I find it an extremely useful tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back