CGM

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBeresford

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi, I am prediabetic wearing a CGM to get a better picture regarding my reactions to certain foods. I am on holiday at the moment so diet is a bit more relaxed. Anyway I had a croissant this morning, bs 5.8 prior to breakfast (my fasting bloods are often high) and 5.4 2 hrs later. Anyway 30 mins after breakfast I was 8.8, 50 mins after breakfast 7.8 and as said 5.4 after 2 hrs. Is that a sign that my body is doing what it is supposed to do, producing insulin in response to a high GI food and dealing with the blood sugar quickly, before I would even have noticed it had I been finger prick testing

Hi, I am prediabetic wearing a CGM to get a better picture regarding my reactions to certain foods. I am on holiday at the moment so diet is a bit more relaxed. Anyway I had a croissant this morning, bs 5.8 prior to breakfast (my fasting bloods are often high) and 5.4 2 hrs later. Anyway 30 mins after breakfast I was 8.8, 50 mins after breakfast 7.8 and as said 5.4 after 2 hrs. Is that a sign that my body is doing what it is supposed to do, producing insulin in response to a high GI food and dealing with the blood sugar quickly, before I would even have noticed it had I been finger prick testing
That is good to know, maybe my insulin resistance is improving.

Is that a sign that my body is doing what it is supposed to do,
Yes, a great indicator; but a single reading is not a trend.
That is good to know, maybe my insulin resistance is improving.
Possibly. Or perhaps you are just doing better at managing your carb control: eg portion size - one croissant rather than 2? A croissant without jam or marmalade?

If you are pre-diabetic presumably you are not taking any meds. So from this single reading you can conclude you are probably doing something right; more exercise certainly normally helps improve insulin resistance? But so does warm weather for many people.

Or you are just not overloading yourself with more carbs than your insulin can manage? (=better management!) .

Whatever it is keep doing it! You have been diligently wrestling with this pre-diabetic diagnosis since early April and after 2 months of probably several modest lifestyle changes this one snapshot from Libre is a great indicator. I hope these changes are sustainable for you in the long term and I hope you can learn from Libre about things that do or don't work for you. When did you start your Libre trial?

Yes, a great indicator; but a single reading is not a trend.

Possibly. Or perhaps you are just doing better at managing your carb control: eg portion size - one croissant rather than 2? A croissant without jam or marmalade?

If you are pre-diabetic presumably you are not taking any meds. So from this single reading you can conclude you are probably doing something right; more exercise certainly normally helps improve insulin resistance? But so does warm weather for many people.

Or you are just not overloading yourself with more carbs than your insulin can manage? (=better management!) .

Whatever it is keep doing it! You have been diligently wrestling with this pre-diabetic diagnosis since early April and after 2 months of probably several modest lifestyle changes this one snapshot from Libre is a great indicator. I hope these changes are sustainable for you in the long term and I hope you can learn from Libre about things that do or don't work for you. When did you start your Libre trial?
Hi, I did two weeks of libre 2 about 4 weeks ago and averaged 5.5 during that time. My next sensor hit a capillary and had to be removed so I had a gap while waiting for a new one to arrive and decided to wear it on holiday to keep an eye on things. This morning was good too, 5.9 before breakfast 8.1 half an hr later and 5.2 1.5 to 2 hrs after breakfast. More carbs this morning, croissant but with cheese and butter, Bircher muesli with fruit salad and bacon egg tomato and mushrooms. I always skip lunch on holiday and tonight I am going to a spa hotel on the Italian lakes and have picked my dinner from the low calorie menu so know I won’t be eating any carbs for the rest of the day. I did have a walk after breakfast to help counteract the added carbs this morning. Quite pleased with things so far.

I'm intrigued as to where in Italy one gets bacon of a good enough quality to properly enjoy and especially even offering a proper English style cooked brekkie alongside the continental type offerings!

I'm intrigued as to where in Italy one gets bacon of a good enough quality to properly enjoy and especially even offering a proper English style cooked brekkie alongside the continental type offerings!
We were in Switzerland Nendaz last night but the bacon, in fact all the cooked options were not very good. Came over the Simplon Pass to Lake Maggiore so I will see what the bacon is like tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back