CGM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Libbyapril

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Wonder if I can get some help here after suffering numerous hypos and 4 injections a day I’m hearing mixed messages about when the monitors will be available for type 2 Iv trialed the libra system but it kept falling off but it was put on during heatwave I need the dexcom one but just keep getting told waiting for a date and next week then it’s next week again by my diabetic nurse and who is it down to for release date totally fed up now BS just drops to 1 no warning at all can’t afford to self fund just feeling fed up now and that it’s my own fault I’m type 2 for being over weight
Many thanks

Wonder if I can get some help here after suffering numerous hypos and 4 injections a day I’m hearing mixed messages about when the monitors will be available for type 2 Iv trialed the libra system but it kept falling off but it was put on during heatwave I need the dexcom one but just keep getting told waiting for a date and next week then it’s next week again by my diabetic nurse and who is it down to for release date totally fed up now BS just drops to 1 no warning at all can’t afford to self fund just feeling fed up now and that it’s my own fault I’m type 2 for being over weight
Many thanks
Hiya,
first concern would be the hypos you obviously need to cut your insulin.
So is it too much basal or bolus you are having?
Have you done a basal test as this would be a priority to keep you safe?

To make the Libre stick make sure you dry the area really well and clean with an alcohol swab. There are also other applications that you can use to keep them in place.
There is no difference between the pricing of Dexcom1 and the Libre so no reason for the delay in giving it to you.

Welcome to the forum
It would help people to answer your questions and maybe give you some suggestions for avoiding the hypos you are getting if you say a bit more about your diagnosis and what insulins you are taking and the sort of dietary regime to follow.
I assume you must be doing finger prick tests so that should be giving you useful information as to your day to day blood glucose.
It sounds as if something is out of balance with your insulin and food intake.

Hi. Can I ask what sort of diet you are having? Note that keeping the carbs down is very important in trying to lose weight and BS. Taking insulin when having excess weight may not always work well as T2s often already have too much insulin thru insulin resistance. if you can reduce any excess weight your insulin needs should gradually reduce. People vary in their skin types for the Libre. Mine stick like glue. It's important to wash the area before application, use an alcohol wipe and use a razor for any hair. There are various aids to keeping the sensor on. BTW note that some people have a reaction to the adhesive on the Dexcom so be aware of that.

@Libbyapril sorry you are having problems getting a CGM and problems with hypos.
In your position, I wouldn't write off the Libre if it is on offer based on your experience during the heatwave. There are ways to help it stick including making sure your arm is dry (including free of moisturiser) when you apply it to using an arm band.
I agree with the comments about reviewing your insulin doses as you should not be hypoing so much.
However, if you are already hypoing, I would be very careful about reducing your carbs unless you are comfortable about adjusting your insulin dose accordingly. Otherwise, that could easily lead to even more hypos.

It sounds to me as if you need assistance from your diabetes nurse on how to avoid hypos rather than relying on technology to spot it for you. Unfortunately, even the best technology can fail.

I don't want to alarm you but I hope you are not driving. If you lack hypo awareness you should not be doing so, even with a CGM.

Finally, your last comment about having diabetes is your own fault is not true. Sure, you are more susceptible to diabetes if you are overweight but there is much much more to getting diabetes than your weight. Please don't blame yourself or look back. Look forward at what you can do to help yourself now.

Finally, your last comment about having diabetes is your own fault is not true. Sure, you are more susceptible to diabetes if you are overweight but there is much much more to getting diabetes than your weight. Please don't blame yourself or look back. Look forward at what you can do to help yourself now.
Very well said

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back