CGM Sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hughes87

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Hi everyone

Hope you’re all keeping well.

I’ve been using the backs of my arms for my CGM and they can be painful sometimes but todays one is a bit grim… the skin is sticking out and I have a ball underneath the skin. Does anyone have any tricks they use to get rid of these or to encourage healing?

Are you sure it’s not infected @Hughes87 ? What’s the ‘ball’ like? Is the skin red and/or hot?

Nope it’s not hot or sore.

I’ve attached a pic, sorry it’s a bit gross

Attachments

• IMG_5647.jpeg
    IMG_5647.jpeg
    32.1 KB · Views: 12
I’d keep a close eye on that middle bit. Hopefully it’s just hardness, which should gradually reduce over the days. Don’t be tempted to pick, rub, scratch or squeeze it. If it turns red or pink or feels painful or hot, speak to a GP asap.

When I have dodgy-looking cannula holes like that, I spray them with some Dettol Wound spray and just let that run off my arm. Keep it aired and don’t irritate it.

I never have any pain from the Libre 2 CGM so I'm surprised you do suffer that. I use the side of the arm not the back. I wouldn't expect it to make any difference, though. I always use an iso-propyl alcohol wipe before application. These are difficult to buy but likely to be better than 'antiseptic' wipes? I get them on eBay.

I would be getting that cleaned up and then applying Germolene.

How do you prep your arm before applying the sensor?
Do you apply an over plaster and if so, do you leave/make a hole in it to allow the skin under the sensor to breath through the central hole?

I find some sensors hurt when they go in, as the filament hits a nerve on its way in. They look a bit angry when I remove the sensor but it usually settles down without any intervention. As it settles keep it clean and aired and disinfected. If the lump gets hot and angry get it checked as it could be infected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back