CGM Libre free trial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snapdragon

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
Hello all, forgive me please as I expect this has already been discussed elsewhere but do you think it’s worth doing the Libre 2 CGM free trial for T2’s just to get a good overall insight into how bloods are when not finger prick testing. OH needs to test every two hours whilst driving and finds it difficult to do so. Just thinking 14 days would give us some useful background info. Thank you.

Hello all, forgive me please as I expect this has already been discussed elsewhere but do you think it’s worth doing the Libre 2 CGM free trial for T2’s just to get a good overall insight into how bloods are when not finger prick testing. OH needs to test every two hours whilst driving and finds it difficult to do so. Just thinking 14 days would give us some useful background info. Thank you.
Hello @Snapdragon ,

It may be helpful to try the free trial of the Libre 2 to see what your OH thinks about it. Some people on the forum find it very useful. The link below has some additional information.

There is in my opinion a clear benefit from trying Libre 2 and indeed for someone struggling as well as driving regularly, your OH, Libre 2 could be very beneficial as a longer term aid

Two fairly clear immediate benefits:
1. Just knowing what is going on with one's BG day by day and even hour by hour. BUT this can become addictive, obsessive and misleading someone to thinking they are in doomsday scenario! I'll come back to this.

2. By watching what any one meal or food type does to one's BG can be invaluable. We each can manage different food with varying degrees of effect on our BG; so knowing how a specific food or type of meal works, can only be helpful. BUT, a lesser caveat, Diabetes is complicated and one's BG is affected by a very long list of factors, other than any food we eat or medications taken. So take note of a single result but try to confirm that result from more than a single experiment under different circumstances!

About Doomsday potential.

Libre 2 from the outset is measuring one's interstitial BG, which lags actual BG by up to 15 mins. The manufacturers have built in a degree of adjustment for that lag within the algorithm that converts a sensor output into a reading on a screen. So one's perception of the lag is visually reduced and can be between 2-3 minutes - WHEN the trend arrow is horizontal and one's BG is not in a period of change (ie steady state). So this can confuse the unknowing by seeing a different Libre reading from a finger prick reading. This is normal.

That difference might be indicating higher or lower than actual; luck of the draw how that can affect any one person. Usually that difference is accentuated when BG is higher (not always) and for some (eg myself) the interstitial Libre reading VERY RARELY matches actual; I invariably start 2 or 3 mmol/L high and over the fortnight it can drift even higher. Today I'm almost 6 pts high and this is now, for me, essentially unworkable - I can't trust what I'm seeing at all.

Libre provides trend arrows which I find are very reliable, indicating when my BG is rising or falling. I lean on those trend arrows a lot and usually look at that before the actual number.

One's BG is frequently changing and it can be easy to "overthink" what one is seeing. Sometimes one needs to stay calm, make mental note and then wait to see where it goes in the next 15, or more minutes. There is a real risk of information overload. One scan of Libre is just one snapshot of a regularly changing screen.

Finally when Libre is near hypo readings this MUST be independently checked by a finger prick and treatment according to that actual BG reading. Also when above 10, but being high has little immediate risk; different concern.

Freestyle provide a series of simple videos and I recommend you and your OH watch those before fitting or starting your trial Libre .

Good luck.

Thank you so much, both of you. I don’t think OH will get obsessed, its more likely to be me, I am the sort that requires lots of info, does research, builds spreadsheets etc. he just kind of goes with the flow (Poor chap). i think it may be really helpful as he is on Gliclazide and should be testing every two hours whilst driving. Not managing it at the moment due to not having opportunities for breaks, grubby hand with tough skin, small fiddly bits with the glucose monitor etc. (and man hands). our real problem will be funding (we don’t have a large income) and he will need a smart phone for app. I’m asking around to see if any relatives have an old one we could use. but thank you again I was worried I am asking too many questions (see, obsessed).

You must never be frightened about asking questions. Diabetes is "complicated, confusing and contradictory" [Gary Scheiner, Think Like a Pancreas - appropriate for people who are insulin dependent]. No question is stupid and we have all been Newbies once, so forum members are both knowledgeable and friendly. I'm an unusual Type 3c, insulin dependent, as if T1; I know relatively little about T2 and even less about the different oral meds. But there are plenty of forum members who do know about this.

Is it possible for your OH to swap to a medication that eliminates the risk of hypos so he wouldn't have to test every two hours? The tablet I'm on (Sitagliptin) doesn't continue to function if your BG level is too low.

Please ignore me if there's a very good reason he's on his current meds.

Thank you Deb, never heard of this but will ask nurse if we have another appointment. He was put on Gliclazide as they needed to get his levels down quickly, his HbA1c was 121. we have been working really hard on diet which is difficult as he is under weight rather than over but blood levels are slowly coming down, all be it a bit erratic. Still looking for interesting things we can add to menu, chicken curry tonight and yes we will be having a small quantity of rice plus lots of green veg.

Sorry to jump on this post but I've just registered to ask a similar question for my elderly dad of 77.

He's type 1 and while he's been managing to take readings for several years now, I'm just conscious that his Parkinson's is getting worse and could become difficult to prick. My mum has recently been in hospital herself and he had a couple of hypos while at home alone so would like to make life as easy and safe as possible for him.

A friend told me about this Libre and the standalone reader because he doesn't have a smartphone and thought it might be useful and potentially able to get it on the NHS

I did read some reviews on the Libre site and a few people saying it's unreliable and how the figures are different to the finger prick so I'm not sure.

Appreciate any feedback and experience

Sorry to jump on this post but I've just registered to ask a similar question for my elderly dad of 77.

He's type 1 and while he's been managing to take readings for several years now, I'm just conscious that his Parkinson's is getting worse and could become difficult to prick. My mum has recently been in hospital herself and he had a couple of hypos while at home alone so would like to make life as easy and safe as possible for him.

A friend told me about this Libre and the standalone reader because he doesn't have a smartphone and thought it might be useful and potentially able to get it on the NHS

I did read some reviews on the Libre site and a few people saying it's unreliable and how the figures are different to the finger prick so I'm not sure.

If your dad is Type 1 then yes he should be able to get Libre2 prescribed on the NHS - by his GP too, he shouldn't need to get his hospital clinic (if he is currently open to one) to prescribe it.

It does not entirely replace finger pricking but could well reduce how often he needs to do that (or be helped to do that if he is not able to do it independently).

I'm sure a few Type 1 Libre users will appear soon with more advice about how it has impacted their management of diabetes

If he can borrow a smartphone or libre reader then there’s a free trial he could use. The sensors can be prescribed by his GP and there’s online training for how to use it, which perhaps he’ll need someone to help him access. Will need a smartphone or reader but maybe someone you know has an old smartphone that could be borrowed short term?

Ok great thank you. I am looking at replacing his mobile with a newer Doro with the response function so don't really want to go the smartphone route. I was told about the standalone reader which hopefully is ok and I guess even though it doesn't store the readings, he could then use that then record. Although without the smartphone app, I assume he wouldn't get any alerts.

He can get alarms on a libre 2 reader, though the alarms wouldn’t be sent to anyone else’s phone. Borrowing a smartphone is more that then you could get the free libre trial from the website and try it out with no costs to see if it would help

Ok great thanks, I've got a couple of old phones we could try although I'll have to check they aren't too old.

Even if he does just have the reader, I'm not sure if it's possible for alerts to be sent to my phone or whether doesn't work like that

Even if he does just have the reader, I'm not sure if it's possible for alerts to be sent to my phone or whether doesn't work like that
That’s correct, if he’s using with a reader then the alerts can’t be sent to your phone. A reader would be easier for him to use than a smartphone by the sound of it though. A smartphone could send alerts, but what you could do is check you have a smartphone that’s compatible, order the free trial to test it out, and at the same time arrange to speak to a GP or his diabetes team to arrange a prescription if it looks like it would help. Then switch to a reader for future sensors.

I’m not sure how you’d get a reader and whether he’d have to pay for that or could get it prescribed / from abbot. Hopefully someone else can help with that.

I was told about the standalone reader which hopefully is ok and I guess even though it doesn't store the readings, he could then use that then record
The reader does store the readings, and you can add in insulin taken and carbs consumed,etc, provided you remember to do it at he time (you can’t add them in later like you can on the phone App). You can see up to 90 days worth of data on the reader itself,(graphs, time in range, average glucose, etc) and you can upload it all to the Libreview website on a laptop. This is what I do, I tend to upload my data every time I change a sensor, so every couple of weeks, and I have given my hospital permission to access my Libre view account, so they can look at all my graphs etc, before an appointment.

Ok thanks @Robin so even with the reader, we could maybe hook it up to their chromebook (another challenge I'm on) and upload it to a portal for the hospital to use.

I've just been through the videos and the understanding in the different figures but seems that as well as the number, you just keep a close eye on the trend arrow and I can imagine he would test a lot more.

Just testing what looks like the libre 3 app on a couple of old phones and maybe I'll just let him have one rather than the reader

Just testing what looks like the libre 3 app on a couple of old phones and maybe I'll just let him have one rather than the reader
The libre 3 isn’t readily available in clinics yet, and isn’t available at all to buy, so you really need to be testing the Libre 2 app.

Ok thanks although it told me that wasn't available in my country to download and it's not in the Google play store. I only have libre 3 and libre link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back