CGM compression readings

Llandudnolian

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
He/Him
Has anyone had experience of CGM compression high readings as well as the generally accepted low readings?

Not heard anyone mention compression highs here on the forum and not seen any suggestion of it myself. What you do sometimes see after a compression low is a rebound which often goes higher than it should and then settles back down to the correct level.

You can also see a high caused by dehydration when drinking fluids will sometimes drop your levels quite noticeably as a result.

Not heard anyone mention compression highs here on the forum and not seen any suggestion of it myself. What you do sometimes see after a compression low is a rebound which often goes higher than it should and then settles back down to the correct level.

You can also see a high caused by dehydration when drinking fluids will sometimes drop your levels quite noticeably as a result.
The reason I ask is because I've had the occasional really high reading through the night for no apparent reason at all and that just isn't usual for me. It was a relief to read about some people experiencing abnormal low misreadings, even though mine seem to be the opposite.

Could it be that you have had something for your evening meal which has been slow release like pizza or pasta in a creamy sauce or lentils perhaps?
Can you post a photo of one of the daily graphs showing this issue?
How high are your levels going?

I now notice that you are new to the forum, so "Welcome!"

Have you been diagnosed long?
Would you like to tell us a bit about yourself and your journey with diabetes so far?

It might be down to an occasional burst of counterregulatory hormones? There are all sorts of things which affect glucose readings, only some of which we directly control.

I’m not sure of a mechanism by which compression (which prevents the flow of interstitial fluid to the sensor) could raise sensor glucose values?

@Llandudnolian the characteristics of a compression low are a sudden steep dip quickly followed by a sudden steep rise to the start level.
Are your occasional really high readings the opposite of this? A sudden rise from a "reasonable" level then, very soon afterwards, a dip back to the starting level?
I have not seen this but it would suggest a sensor anomaly.

However if your BG Is unexpectedly rising and staying there for some time or slowly dropping again, it suggests the sensor is reporting what is happening to your body.

It might be down to an occasional burst of counterregulatory hormones? There are all sorts of things which affect glucose readings, only some of which we directly control.

I’m not sure of a mechanism by which compression (which prevents the flow of interstitial fluid to the sensor) could raise sensor glucose values?
Thanks. I am aware of other factors affecting glucose readings which is why this is a mystery to me as as far as I'm able to control it, there were no obvious signs of why it should have risen so high without preceding compression lows. I've only recently discovered the compression lows risk and wondered firstly why the CGM manufacturers are reluctant to warn about these and also, if highs are another possible result of said compressions?
Your comments were appreciated.

@Llandudnolian the characteristics of a compression low are a sudden steep dip quickly followed by a sudden steep rise to the start level.
Are your occasional really high readings the opposite of this? A sudden rise from a "reasonable" level then, very soon afterwards, a dip back to the starting level?
I have not seen this but it would suggest a sensor anomaly.

However if your BG Is unexpectedly rising and staying there for some time or slowly dropping again, it suggests the sensor is reporting what is happening to your body.
I had experienced no preceding compression low results or warnings abandoned it's for this reason I'm left wondering if the highs are also anomalies.

I had experienced no preceding compression low results or warnings abandoned it's for this reason I'm left wondering if the highs are also anomalies.
Sorry, I was not clear in my last message.
I meant to ask what your highs looked on on the graph.
Are they short and sharp (one or two readings much much higher than others) or does your BG slowly rise to an unexpected high and stay there for 30 minutes or more?

Back