CGM and Xbox interference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redkite

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi, does anyone know anything about broadband interference with CGM transmitters? I have my suspicions...this evening my son was playing on his xbox for a couple of hours. He plays on xbox live against friends online, so it uses a lot of bandwidth (or whatever the technical term is!). He has a Medtronic Veo and is wearing an enlite sensor this week, which had hitherto been tracking accurately. Leaving aside the fact that his BG levels have been around the 10 mark all afternoon, during his gaming there is a big "W" on his sensor graph. I was outside mowing the lawn, so didn't hear his pump alarm for a hypo at 18.50, but he says he ignored it because he didn't feel low. The graph line then shoots back up, then a bit later back down again - he tested on his meter at 19.28 and was 10.8, sensor said 3.8. Since then it's been tracking ok again. Could the use of xbox live have caused interference with the accurate workings of the sensor transmitter? :confused:

I'm not sure. I have only seen things on Twitter about this (and not on the Veo, but the MM640G). The family in question were trying to work out whether it was coincidence as their Veo did *not* behave that way. It was a wireless router I think, not an xBox.

I have worn the MM640G with enlite sensors for the past 9 weeks or so and spent much of the time sitting within inches of a wireless router with no ill effects and very very good sensor accuracy.

Sorry! That's probably not much help!

Thanks Mike, actually that's quite reassuring. I think I must have read about the same young lad as you with the 640G (we're due to upgrade to that next Spring), which is what set me wondering whether this might be a similar problem.

Here's a blog post which mentions Xbox and wireless vs wired controllers? https://growingupwitht1d.wordpress.com/2015/03/02/priorities/

To be honest, they had an absolute nightmare with the 640G, with many sensors ending early and not tracking well. My experience could not have been more different. I only had one 'problem' sensor and that was a manufacturing error (no sensor filament - the sensor was replaced free of charge). All the others tracked really well and SmartGuard was very very effective for me. Almost 90% reduction in time spent under 4.0 vs data from Libre sensors and my A1c dropped by 0.3% to boot. No overnight readings under 3.5mmol/L at all for the whole 9 weeks.

Sounds marvellous! I can but hope. Hypos are not the problem atm, he's been constantly shooting up into double figures the last few days despite pouring insulin into him (TDD up from 35U to 45-50!) - adolescent hormones probably. Nicely timed just as he starts a new school year....

P.S. Just read the blog you linked to - yes, he was the lad I was thinking of. We have wireless xbox controllers too, which is what he was using, as well as a headset for communicating with his online mates. I'll have to keep an eye on when things go wrong and what he's doing at the time. Xbox use is supposed to be being cut drastically now he's back at school!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back