Cerebral palsy and type 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spagger

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi

bit of a random question/discussion!

I was born with cerebral palsy, a neurological condition affect muscle tension, coordination and balance. I‘ve been type 2 since my mid 40‘s I think, though I can’t remember when I was officially diagnosed, or when pre-diabetes became type 2 and medicated. Anyway I am now on gliclazide, metformin and alogliptin. I am eating as well as I can, but as I have binge eating disorder, I cannot go low carb, as this leads to binging. I haven’t had high sugar/fatty foods, such as cakes, sweets, biscuits etc, or binged on carbs for over 7 months, despite continuing to crave them and missing the bingeing behaviour.

with the medication, my bg is still higher than it should. Also there is a huge difference between when I’m lying down resting to when I’m up and moving. For example, I test when I first wake up in bed and it can be around 6.0. I then get up, go to the loo and come downstairs, test again and it’s gone up to over 9, before having eaten or drunk anything. Another is when I went for a walk. It was 7.6 3/4 of the way up the hill and about 2km in, by the end of the over 6km walk 2 hrs later it was over 12, with nothing but water having been consumed. I was wondering if my cerebral palsy, and needing extra energy, concentration, brain power and space, oomph etc to walk and move would cause my liver to release more glucose into my system to deal with the extra needed? Does that make sense to anyone else? Or am I using it as an excuse? I am desperately trying to improve my eating which is still disordered (some days more than others), but I am also getting a bit despondent by the lack progress in my bg results in times when it is less disordered and I’m eating well.

just thinking really! Any views?

Welcome to the forum.
I think what you describe with your morning readings is what many get and os often referred to as Foot on the Floor syndrome where the liver releases glucose in the absence of food to give you energy and for your organs to function.
Similar to the affect of exercise on some people who notice blood glucose goes up when they do certain types of exercise so I think you have come up with a plausible explanation yourself.
There is an organisation BEAT which can help people with disordered eating but there are quite a few people here who do juggle their diabetes with that condition so they may be able to offer some suggestions for you to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back