Cellulitis

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJLang

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I’ve had on antibiotics for cellulitis on my shin for five weeks and although it has improved lots it is still red. Any idea as to what happens next with regard to treating it. I will be contacting GP tomorrow. I’ve attached photos of what it looked like five weeks ago and today. Apart from the colour I wouldn’t know it was there but two GPS have said that if there is any redness when I finish this lot antibiotics then I must go back to the.

Attachments

• 203971CA-FD0B-41DA-ABE0-15BBCAC7FF3B.jpeg
    203971CA-FD0B-41DA-ABE0-15BBCAC7FF3B.jpeg
    46.4 KB · Views: 14
  • A93A1034-B8F3-4F58-9E08-5E59125B0E1C.jpeg
    A93A1034-B8F3-4F58-9E08-5E59125B0E1C.jpeg
    33.9 KB · Views: 14
I would guess that they will want to hit it hard and ensure that all trace of infection is gone, so I think that they might give you another lot of antibiotics. I hope that it gets sorted soon.

Hope they manage to get rid of it soon. Having had cellulitis 3 times I know its not nice.

I usually end up with iv antibiotics but usually have an open wound with mine, hope you get sorted soon .

Mr Eggy has had it three times now. He ended up in hospital the first time and was put on an intravenous drip. TBF his leg had gone black! It was also incredibly itchy and hot, it drove him mad.The last time he had it they didn’t have a bed so I had to drive him to the hospital everyday, for five days, to have ambulatory care there, ie intravenous antibiotics. Fingers crossed he’s been ok for almost five years. His stemmed from bad circulation due to his heart condition so they had to be extra careful of course. Unfortunately, antibiotics are the only cure, did they ask you to keep monitoring the spread, ie draw a line around it? Mr Eggy’s was creeping upwards and so was getting dangerously close to his heart. If yours is still the same size and not moving I’m afraid it’s just a matter of waiting for the antibiotics to do their job.
I hope it disappears soon but unfortunately you will be more prone to it once you’ve had it, maybe ask the doc for some advice on how to prevent it. X

Thank you everyone for your comments, they are very appreciated. I feel for those who’ve had cellulitis before. I think the only thing I’m really worried about is if they want me to stay in hospital for antibiotics because it would be a nightmare trying to manage my gastroparesis. The GP is due to phone me back by lunchtime. Xx

Hoping for a speedy recovery @AJLang

Let us know how things go and what the Dr says 🙂

Thank you @everydayupsanddowns
GP has prescribed antibiotics for another week. If it’s still not clear next Monday I will then need to be seen in person again at the surgery.

I suspect you will carry on with antibiotics for a while longer yet. Docs may try a different one. My mum had a stubborn bout a few months ago that took a while to clear up (maybe eight weeks if I remember rightly) so don’t worry. Cellulitis can be a persistent beggar.

Was in hospital with cellulitis in my leg 2 years ago, started off by infection in knee that spread, it was quite bad so was given IV antibiotics, pain was so awful had to take morphine, wouldn't like to go through it again.

Hope yours clears up soon @AJLang

That looks nasty. I hope the new ABs do the trick.

Thank you very much everyone. It's still there but at least it's not getting worse xx

I wouldn't worry about a hospital admission as you have a pump - they aren't going to remove that, so managing the gastroparesis should be no different to home, though in my experience the "diabetic" breakfasts are wide of the mark.

I hope that you can avoid a hospital admission, Type 1 diabetics seem to be like aliens in NHS England hospitals in my experience..

I've has problems with my feet on and off various reasons including cellulitis, but so far have managed to get back to something like normal by using massage and hot and cold water from the shower to try to get the blood moving as it should.
My father's mother's family were nurses, midwives and herbalists and were famous for their persistence at visiting and tending injuries.
Small things such as never using an open pot or bottle of a lotion or cream, always take out a small amount put on the lid and avoid cross contamination were in their text books and notebooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back