Cellulitis infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emma17

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi.....

Type 1 for nearly 2 years and in June last year I had to walk through about a foot of dirty water to open up my work. I washed my legs as soon as I got in...but since then I have been troubled with cellulitis.

I just wondered if it was stubborn due to my diabetes....and wondered if there is anything that I can do?

I hope you have sought medical help in the time since June??

What have you tried so far? I am a big fan of Germolene for skin infections and massage to stimulate blood flow but not used it on cellulitis.

I would say that the two most important things would be to control your BG levels as well as possible and perhaps walk or exercise your legs/feet in some other way to help stimulate blood flow, but definitely seek medical advice if you haven't already and go back for further medical advice or treatment if you haven't spoken to anyone for a while about it.

If you struggle to get an appointment, see if your surgery have an online referral system like "Ask my GP" or E-consult. You could take a photo of the problem and forward that along with your description of the problem including length of time you have been battling it and that you are diabetic, because that is very relevant.

Let us know how you get on but do get medical advice.

Have you been having any treatment for it like antibiotics as that is what is usually needed. Healing id often slower if blood glucose is high.
I would see your pharmacist and they may be able to suggest something or advice if it requires to be seen by the GP. If you can send a picture to your GP they can decide if you should have antibiotics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back